Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 01:56:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 21
Total: 21
21 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Frame Size Effects - 856  (Read 2527 times)

will

Frame Size Effects - 856
« on: July 08, 2005, 03:09:16 am »
Dear Experts

I'm just about done building up a second 856 and having some thoughts about the differences between the two... (One may have to go [smiley=worry.gif] so there may be a tough decision.)

Pretty sure the old frame is a 16" (medium?) and the new one is a 20" (Way Big?), so the top tube is about 2" longer on the new one. And so is the wheel base.

However, with a shorter stem and longer forks, the new bike cockpit is virtually identical to the old bike. Also, they have the same chainstay length, head and seat tube angles, and standover is within 1/2".

Since my riding sensitivities are brick-like until I launch over the handlebars it might take a while to figure out the differences. What might be the differences between the two bikes? Will one climb better? Descend better?

Clueless in Texas... (No jokes please ;D)
Will

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Frame Size Effects - 856
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 03:50:42 am »
Will,

My take is that the WayBig will climb better as you are now able to move the center of gravity forward. It will descend better but not much I think and willl not turn as quickly as the medium.

The real question is how tall you are, and which bike gives you the most fun and works you less.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 10:26:02 am »
You will notice it when turning, especially at slower speeds. I think that will be the biggest "problem". "Brick-like sensitivity" or not I think that making that big of a frame change will be an eye opener that will have you noticing things for a number of rides.

And like Terry said - your height will have a more pronounced effect on this, for sure.

You're what, 5'11", 6'?

Dead giveaway for a WB frame - 160mm head tube length. ;)
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 05:37:56 pm »
no the 20" 856 will have a head tube of 125 or so...at least my 756 does.....the 20 has a tt 1/2 inch longer than the large and also had a stem 1/2 inch longer than the large...
kiwi proflex rider

will

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 02:43:17 pm »
Thanks Mates,

It should be interesting to see how it maneuvers. On my local trails there's a set of 8 uphill switchbacks that most riders can't clean. I got to where I could ride it pretty well on the medium 856, but it was really tricky keeping the front wheel down. (The dig in suspension is amazing BTW.)

Anyhow, if I can clean the switchbacks, it's all okay.

Right now I'm looking for a the FedEx truck on Monday with a new set of disc wheels and an X-Type BB and crankset.

I did get a sealed bearing conversion done to the main pivot. (Thanks to Simon for some good advice.) I don't have a good slip or press fit on the bearings so what is a tiny bit of play at the pivot is 3 ugly mm of play at the hub.  [smiley=disbelief.gif] Must redo...

Once I get all that sorted out, it'll be back into the woods with the "WayBig" frame.

Hard to believe it's really that big a frame tho. I'm only 5-9 and it feels just right. We shall see...