Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 08:21:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65
65 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Just had a GREAT ride - couple of Q's  (Read 2309 times)

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
Just had a GREAT ride - couple of Q's
« on: July 02, 2005, 11:34:46 am »
Well, I finally had what I consider to be my first REAL ride of the year (took me long enough, eh?). I went to a "local" place (ski resort/mtbk/hiking/camping area) with a buddy and we had an absolute blast. The trails offered everything from decent downhill descents, to rocky/rooty runs, to technical sections (the "I can't believe we just rode that!" type  [smiley=laughing.gif] ).

My buddy even got chased by a couple of un-leashed dogs and I nearly fell off my bike I was laughing so hard. It was great. Two small dogs chasing a grown man and him riding faster than he had all day. [smiley=laughing.gif]

So, the couple of Q's.....

1) never having ridden an FS bike with "balanced suspension" (ie, same travel front and rear) I tried to re-cap the day's ride with this respect. My front currently posesses 2" travel, the rear at 4.5". Honestly, I didn't find myself once saying "I need more travel up front", however, i'm not sure that i'd be able to say that with the intent of making a fair comparison. So, the Q - is it really something that's obvious BEFORE the fact, or simply something that is welcomed after a few rides? I know this might sound strange, but again, I don't really know.

2) my stem was creaking. :o I have a Kore 3-bolt and it was creaking between the stem and the handlebar. What to do? The only thing I can think of is to put some grease between the two and see what happens. Any suggestions?

In retrospect, despite my lousy shape, I had a fantastic ride (we both did). I plan on going there more often (especially after work on weekdays) and reaping the benefits-a-plenty. I found that I am a good cantidate for disc brakes (I wasn't joking about the technical sections!) and i'm still hunting a Manitou Minute fork that "meets my needs". That'll help to kill two birds with one stone for the travel and disc mount situation.

PATIA with the Q's and I hope you've all had great rides just like I did.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

will

Re: Just had a GREAT ride - couple of Q's
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 02:52:14 pm »
Frankd,

That's what it's all about!

Hey,regarding those parts you need; I just scored a bunch of "take off" OEM parts from www.jensonusa.com for peanuts. How about an Alex/Deore disc wheelset for $79? Also got a Hussefelt FR crankset w/ISIS BB for $100.

They're also moving forks CHEAP. A Minute might be a little pricy since it's still new, but check it out.

If you're still in the fabriating mood, you should grab those $90 Xlinks from eDiscount and put disc tabs on them. (Works for me!)

Enjoy,
Will

P.S. Thanks to you & Simon for the offline help. I got some lovely brass spacers cut and will put the whole sealed bearing deal together next week. Just waiting for a welding job on my new rear disk tabs on Tuesday...

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 05:02:28 pm »
Hey, that's great! I'm glad to hear that the sealed conversion is going to work for you!

Ummm, i'm going to have to think about the wheelset. I found a couple of deals for a Minute 1 and 2, however, they're disc only. [smiley=disbelief.gif] I'm really hesitant to go this route. Very uncomforting if I have any problems with a disc set-up and no alternatives. I don't like leaving myself in that kind of situation if I have the option not to.

I'll see what I find. Thanks for the heads-up!
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 09:57:40 pm »
Glad you had a good ride :P

as for your stem creaking I personally wouldn't apply grease betweem the facing points,
read reviews on that stem, all of them positive,
I'd recommend removing the bars and ensuring everything is clean on both mating surfaces with no scores or imperfections,ensure the stem clamp edges are suitably tapered,if not file a nice smooth taper,screw the bolts into the stem without the front clamp to ensure they go down far enough without bottoming out before they can apply enough clamping force,re-fit everything using a small amount of loctite 242 on the bolt threads,lightly nip up each bolt,keep tightening each bolt evenly till the correct torque is achieved and the stem to clamp gap is even all the way around,re-torque after first ride and re-check regually,
sorry if I'm stating the obvious [smiley=laughing.gif]
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 12:45:16 pm »
No no, Simon - good points indeed. [smiley=nod.gif]

I'll double check everything tomorrow afterwork. Riding locally just doesn't stress anything enough to notice the noise.

Thanks!

Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery