Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 12, 2024, 01:23:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18
18 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: removing brake mounts on swingarms  (Read 2729 times)

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
removing brake mounts on swingarms
« on: May 09, 2005, 05:23:12 pm »
now that I no longer need the V brake mounts on my Carbon Swingarm on my 4500/5500 frame.... can I remove them? is that what most of you guys  have done after you have installed your disk brake adapter? they look kind of ugly and are no longer needed. don't want to do anything like that before asking here on this forum.

another question... is there a product you can use to improve the finish of the carbon body where it looks just a tad weathered? as a commercial photographer, when we used to use plexiglass as a background for still lifes, we used to use a product that  would smooth out or fill in the scuff marks. thought someone might have a suggestion for these plastic bike frames.

my bike is about 2/3 the way finished. I am in the middle of the build up. that is why I am asking so many questions.
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
Re: removing brake mounts on swingarms
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 08:01:14 pm »
sure can, I did this with my carbon xlinks(the bosses/pivots/mounts actually feel quite heavy when you do remove them, and if you ain't gonna use them they might as well go). Same on the rear with the carbon swingarms. [smiley=nod.gif]

Use a spanner on them, (they are threaded and bonded a little too, but with a little force they'' unscrew (anticlockwise). I am using the left rear brake boss on the swingarm as an anchorpopint for my rear discmount. I'll remove the right one though.

Cheers Dan [smiley=beer.gif]

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 12:14:11 am »
You can also buy blanking covers to fill the holes left when the bosses have been renoved.

Sprucey

chainsaw

• Apprentice
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 02:47:12 pm »
oh yeah? where can you buy these blanks?
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 04:14:53 pm »
Honda polish from your local motorcycle shop used to make my Spin wheels look nice.  Worth a shot.  A small can is only a couple of bucks last I checked.
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 12:21:29 am »
I run a mail order bike business in the UK.

Here is the link to the relevant page in our online catalogue but most good bike shops will stock these or similar makes.

Sprucey

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/CABLE___HOSE_GUIDES.html

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 03:11:00 am »
The bosses may need some heat to soften the adhesive. Try slipping a hot soldering iron into the boss and leave until the boss is heated and can be revoved.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

chainsaw

• Apprentice
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 01:51:33 pm »
I run a mail order bike business in the UK.

Here is the link to the relevant page in our online catalogue but most good bike shops will stock these or similar makes.

Sprucey

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/CABLE___HOSE_GUIDES.html

thanks, I went to your link, which parts on that page do I need to order? the "DMR Little Blankers"? if so, the 8mm or the 10 mm?