Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 11:20:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56
56 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Retro-fitting discs - is this correct?  (Read 3865 times)

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: Retro-fitting discs - is this correct?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 12:42:24 am »
kiwi and i exchanged an aluminum fork a ways back and upon getting it back i made a clampon disc brake unit for the left leg.

i filed off much of the lip on the dropout and clamped the lower part of the unit under the skewer and ran it up the back of the leg.  the skewer held the unit in place quite well - velcroed the top of the unit to the leg (just playing at the time but it worked quite well). as long as the braking forces are centered on the leg and evenly distributed, didn't have any issues at all.  rode it around a bit, decided not to pursue the venture and stuck the fork and plate back in the box - been sitting there since and going to stay there.

OP
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 12:43:22 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
Re: Retro-fitting discs - is this correct?
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 02:13:31 pm »
Very interesting. I'm getting the idea (finally) that the carbon legs are that much stronger than the aluminum ones. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks guys!

So, I replaced my pads today. Out with the Shimano "hard as a rock" Wet & Dry pads [smiley=bleh.gif] and in with the Kool Stops up front (grey compound) and Scott Mathausers (rear).

Well, wouldn't you know what dumb thing I did next? Change the pads, hop on the bike, blast down the street and try a panic stop. Baaaaad idea. I pulled a 20 foot endo! :o So, after I changed my underwear....

I think i'll be getting rid of the SM's and buying a few different compounds of Kool Stops and see what works best for me. The SM's need too much input and take a while to slow me down. Maybe not a bad attribute for the rear of the bike, but we'll see what happens. I'm very happy with my V-brakes.

Oh, just for the record - my 3000 came with ServoWave levers (LX? XT?) and STX-RC brakes. Not too bad for "cheap stuff". I wonder how limited i'll be with post-type replacement pads?

For this year, discs are a dead issue. Now, about those carbon legs..... [smiley=blankstare.gif]

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery