Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 03:21:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 53
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 31
Total: 31
31 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: What is so good about these bikes?  (Read 5035 times)

jetman624

• Novice
  • New schooler rockin an OLD school bike
What is so good about these bikes?
« on: April 15, 2005, 08:18:41 am »
Why do all you guys insist on hanging on to these bikes?  I am sure you have good reasons, I am just curious as to what they are.  My uncle bought one back in the day (that is how i got mine) so I am sure it was top dog at some point cause he always buys the best of the best, but why havn't you guys upgraded?  I could be wrong but it seems like the suspension stuff is kinda out dated and getting a rear shock has proved to be some what of a hassle.  So what makes these bikes so great???

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
Re: What is so good about these bikes?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 09:34:23 am »
Show me an Upgrade...................
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

Wankel

• Apprentice
  • Carbon OZ and RX-7's - A Great combo ;)
    • Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 09:37:35 am »
Show me an Upgrade...................

[smiley=nod.gif] [smiley=laughing.gif]

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 09:49:20 am »
I love that term - "outdated design".

I'm a car nut. For many years now i've done the whole "eat, breath, sleep and talk cars" thing. Let's do a little comparison, shall we?

Take a look at about 75% of todays car's suspension designs and engines. Do you think they're "cutting edge" technology? I gaurantee you they're not. Some of today's best suspension design's were born before you, I, and even our oldest member (OP? no offense) were even born. Same goes for engines. When do you think the SOHC/DOHC engines were born - certainly not in the past 30 or 40 years.

So, now let's look at mountain bike suspensions. Outdated? It's ALL the same stuff, re-hashed with a  different main pivot, maybe linkage added and a shock absorber somewhere in the mix. Is it REALLY that critical? IMHO, nope. Look at our suspension design and take a look at other manufacturers that use the same design. I can think of a few that use neaarly the exact same pivot point as my 3000. The "best example"? The CycleMountain San Andreas. Major difference? Shock orientation. And maaaany others. (oh, it's even worse with forks - "telescopic rules" - whatever)

I'm NOT trying to come off as sounding like some kind of bugger that's trying to shut you up or anything of the sort. PLEASE don't read me in that manner.

If you're worried about how cool you'll look on a K2 or a ProFlex then go buy a Gary Fisher, Ellsworth, Ventana or Turner. You can look cool while you're broke. [smiley=laughing.gif]

Too many people associate high price tags with quality - i'd like to think I know the truth.

Again, i'm not trying to sound like a bugger, just inform you that you might be reading what other people type with too much insight that is steering you in a direction that isn't needed in life. Don't worry about what other people think - worry about what you know.

Now go RIDE your bike.

But get some new shocks first. ;) Heater hose is for cars. :)

Oh, these bikes are great because we know they work. I won't be buying any telescopic forks soon, that's for damn sure. Also, TONS of frames aren't made in North America - they're farmed out to somewhere it's CHEAPER to produce them. "Made in the U.S.A." usually means it's expensive because it's more expensive to do this stuff in North America.  Same goes for "Made in Canada" (ie. Rocky Mountain). It's like this with most everything you buy nowadays.

edited for content - apologies
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 02:28:51 am by frankd3000 »
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

seanzzo

• Apprentice
  • I luv my 855   All 245 lbs of Me! LOL
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 11:42:54 am »
VERY VERY well put Frankd3000
NOTHING more need be said!!!!!
95 PROFLEX 855
Former member 855 Heads
2003 rock hopper sport(my brother gave it to me)
http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=seanzzo

will

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 12:14:59 pm »
Just gotta weigh in here...

Ever since I sold my first Proflex in '97, I've wanted it back. Yes, that 455 was low spec, BUT the essential geometry is very little different from the unanimous Bike of The Year, the Cannondale Prophet.

The guy I sold it to wouldn't sell it back for twice what he paid for it! [smiley=disbelief.gif]

So I eBay'ed an 856 frame a year ago. That has been one fine machine to ride and work on. Not only is it high quality tubing and welding, the geometry is still state-of-the-art and the suspension is brick simple.

Now of course it needed some upgrades to disc brakes (done) and SPV shocks (not yet) and sealed bearing pivots (maybe) to make it a modern performer.

If you could see me ride it, you'd be amazed. A 210 pound beast taking four foot drops and landing flat footed. It's amazing.

For me, it all boils down to this ageless truism:
Simplicity is the essence of design. [smiley=groucho.gif]

Yes, I get a lot of smarmy yuppy comments from "cityfolk" but it just feels that much better when I smoke past 'em on a 10 year old bike. [smiley=nod.gif]

With all that said, I just put sliders back on my 856 and plan to sell my Xlinks. But only because I can't get a fat boy spring that will fit. [smiley=worry.gif]

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 12:16:40 pm »
I fell in love with my 857, then an Oz frame I built up to my specs.  :P :-*

Sure you can argue that the frame is outdated, the Noleen rear shock certainly is!

The bikes came with a good pedigree at one time.

They (the bikes) are kinda like old sports cars, they are fun to ride and we have a certain affection towards them.

If I see a cherry BMW 2002tii running around my neck of the woods, I drool...or a '67 Porsche 912.  If I see a MBZ CL65, I just sigh.  Get it?

[smiley=beer.gif]

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 12:26:06 pm »
jetman, if you have ever ridden one of these bike,s, you would understand our love for them. outdated? get an Oz, it certainly is not oudated (imho). it seems that they were actually ahead of their time, and that the rest of the world is just starting to catch up.

when the Oz was built, mags and "experts" said that cf was brittle and was not a good material for bikes. well, everyone and his brother is building cf bikes and components these days, even stems!

when I ride my Oz, it is amazing how many people think that it is the latest superbike. as for my "obsolete" spinergy rev-x carbon wheels, there is nothing that I have found that ride as smoothly as they do. they are a bit heavy and hinder climbing a bit, but all round, they are still the best wheels I have ridden on a mtb.

don't go new just for the sake of new. only do it if it is really better.
btw, I drive a 15  year old car because it is still the best car for me. Recaro seats, composite wheels, variable nozzle turbo. the latter two still haven't been copied by other cars. plus, it is a hatchback which fits my bikes, is fast, economical, and cost $12,000.00 brand new. (listed for $17,000.00 but I got a deal).

anyway, research what works before you buy some new "miracle" bike.

another bit of food for thought, this forum has always been friendly, nice, and a place of peace. I don't appreciate some of the language and attitude that has been used lately. We are all lovers of the same bikes and should be of the same mind. please let's return to tranquility in thought, mind, and deed.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 12:29:54 pm by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

jinder

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 03:32:59 pm »
I got my dream bike.. the 957.... I see no so called, "Upgrade" for me.   Its like a 1985 Ferrari 288 GTO....  

My 957 will stay with me until I leave this Earth
Beast

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 08:53:13 pm »
yep there old but they are light and relatively stif,and we lov em.Did you notice the name of this forum......
kiwi proflex rider

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 12:38:12 am »
wow, what a great thread. And perfect timing for me. I am currently spending $2000 to build up a 7 year old 4500/5500 frame that I bought 1.5 years ago. And I have caught myself wondering why I just didn't buy a new prophet or yeti and is it really smart to spend so much money on a 7 year old frame. thanks for the affirmations.
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 02:22:35 am »
chainsaw,

just to reiterate, you are doing absolutely, positively the correct thing. you won't be sorry! (imho).

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 02:32:46 am »
Why do I like my bike? Well Bob Girvin was at the top of his game when things fell apart at proflex. I was taken by the fact that his company ONLY built suspenders. So his entire reputation rested on the quality of his line. But he gambled on market share and lost.

The high pivot, semi-active design was perfected on the strutless bikes. My Oz falls into that catagory. It has dominated to this date until the arrival of platform hydrualics And VPP. The only way the other builders could match. Now you see platform designs  coupled with high pivot, such as Haro, Santa Cruz, Cannondale, Marin, you name it.

So with a small investment in an SPV shock, much cheaper than a new bike, I have a bike that works better than them all, looks better than them all, and I still like the fact that K2 Carbon frame production was halted because they lost money on every one they sold. Oh, and first build effort on my Oz was less that 25 lbs., try buying anything that light that can do what mine could do.

And the 2 best looking bikes ever made is the 957 and my Oz.

Simple, Solid, Sexy.

Terry
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 02:39:31 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jetman624

• Novice
  • New schooler rockin an OLD school bike
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 06:20:31 am »
I am not imberresed by my bike in the least.  I love it.  My uncle had swaped in a rockshox fork and other the the rear "shock", or lack there of, it is a champ.  I love when I go into a bike store (before i knew they weren't gonna have parts for it) and ask about a shock or something and tell them I have a proflex.  I always get this look of reverence, like "oohh a proflex".  I can't help but think if they hadn't gone under that they would very much be on the top of the mtn bike game.

Anyways, thanks for the input.  Can't wait to get a real shock on that thing and hopefully some disc breaks.

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 10:41:13 am »
HAHAHA! I hear you there. Went to the LBS today and brought my 3000. "Holy mackeral, I haven't seen one of those in aaaages". [smiley=laughing.gif]

Thanks for not taking my post the wrong way. ;)
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery