Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 04:13:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48
48 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Need to discuss my shock options  (Read 2337 times)

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
Need to discuss my shock options
« on: April 04, 2005, 11:21:45 am »
Yup, me again. Inquisitive, aren't I?  :-[

As the title says....

I'm having a really hard time figuring out what I want to do with the rear of my bike. I was intent on fabricating a linkage system (pretty much the same as what Simon has done). I would be able to expand my options as to which rear shock I could use, even as far as having a range of sizes to use (less limitation when you make the stuff yourself and build-in optional settings). The option of being able to pick up a shock with an i2i anywhere between 6-7" would mean i'd have a far better chance of finding something used, untill I figure out what I like.

However, since i've been snooping here, particularily in the Galleries, i've hit a "stumbling block". The moment I saw Autoduel's rear shock arrangement I thought someone smacked me in the head. Ok, I smacked myself in the head, but anyways.

The simplicity of the design (fabricating a single cone/mount) EASILY outweighs the various parts that need to be fabricated for a linkage set-up (NO offense Simon!!!), it weighs less, has less moving parts and can still have a little "play" built-in (with regards to i2i measurements). I could even fabricate a new seat-stay/strut, for slightly more shock length options - I don't need as much tire clearance as what's provided in stock form.

My "problem" - stiction. I can't hep but THEORIZE (important!!!) that this design would have lots of it, and might "pre-maturely" wear the shock. That would suck, to say the least.

Am I reading too much into this, or is it a valid statement????

Again, please keep in mind i've been out of the scene for a number of years now, so I don't know how far shock technology has come, nevermind what's used for materials and construction methods.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to get this one figured out for myself.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

will

Re: Need to discuss my shock options
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 02:32:41 pm »
Y'know... I've spent an unearthly amount of time head scratching and tinkering on an 856.
I ended up (so far) with a fairly decent bike based on the Neanderthal school of design. (See pics)
With another $800 it might be a pretty sweet ride.

However, with the dogwoods and azaleas in full bloom, the deer and coyotes running around the woods like  [smiley=nod.gif] teenagers, all I can say about all this technical stuff is GETOUT&RIDEIT. Ride it like you stole it!
(Forgive the flaming, but you should see this place. Sorry Kiwi, but it's Springtime in paradise!)

Enjoy!

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 03:13:18 pm »
Well.... yeah,but..... where's the tech in THAT?!?! [smiley=worry.gif]

Okay, okay, I PROMISE i'll "shut up, sit down, hold on and ride" - even like I stole it. But I gotta do something about the dead shock. Riding around like I have a pogo-stick up my a- umm, you know, doesn't make for an awe-inspiring ride. Know what I mean?

I know how Tigger, the tiger feels now. HEhehe!  [smiley=disbelief.gif] Sorry, goofball again.

I'm thinking to try the "cheap" way first and if it works then stick with it.

Way to go, Will. Now i'm even more hungry for dirt. [smiley=laughing.gif]
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 03:22:26 am »
Hi Andrew,

I had a 97 Beast. I know the "pogo". On a winter ride a few seasons back the mud packed up under the seals and WOOOSH, no more oil. The Noleen shock depends on overdampening to defeat the pedal infuences, so every time I pedaled the bike would jack and then go into a bob. At first I thought I flated.

Well anyway I brought the shock to my LBS and K2 warranteed it, and rebuilt it no charge. K2 is pretty good that way. Why not visit your K2 dealer if you have one in the area? Can't hurt. In the mean time machine a temporary rigid strut, 8.25 inches i2i.

On another subject, do you feel like you would feel better on a 3000 Way Big frame? I have a project that is stalled at the moment involving a 3000 waybig frame.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 09:44:53 am »
Well, it's not like i'm riding it right now. I'll find the K2 LBS and see what they say, just for chits-n-giggles.(warranty for a 7 year old shock? long stretch, no? )

Ummm, I thought I did have a way big frame. Then again with my seat post height - the bike feels great underneath me, though. The BB-to-top-of-seatpost is 21.5" and the seat-to-headtube is 23.5". Big, or way big?

Shoot me an e-mail with what you have in mind, Terry. Pics, info and all the good stuff. I've seen a lot of interesting stuff on the galeries and wouldn't mind seeing more.

Thanks guys!
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery