Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 02:13:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41
41 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: newbie  (Read 2633 times)

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« on: March 17, 2005, 02:00:39 am »
hi all, ive been dropping in on this forum for a while now and have decided to put pen to paper so to speak for the first time. i aquired an old xpx frame 18 months ago and have been upgrading the components and am now happy with it. its mainly lx and xt with an a/c forged chainset,manitou forks, alex vectra d2 wheels, bbb carbon bars, use seatpost, hope xc4 front disc with 185mm disc and a 165mm mechanical disc on the back using a home made mount. there doesnt appear to be much info on the xpx on here so i was wondering what the differences are regarding other proflex`s of the same era. also is there anywhere in the uk where i can aquire frame decals for it as some of mine are a bit tatty to say the least.  thanks
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

jeffhop

• Guru
Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 02:22:41 am »
ive added a pic of the xpx and my other bikes in the gallery cos i couldnt work out how to do it on here.....doh!!! let me know what you think  also what replacement rear shocks are available that are lighter and more adjustable than the girvin ods?

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 02:33:45 am »
Very cool,

Never heard of xpx either. Looks like an 855 or even 856. Whatever the case it looks great.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 03:31:40 am »
Ahhh,yes the XPX,it was introduced to the UK only(I believe) it is a rebranded 856 with all the updates of the later 856,
here in the UK CVI is your first port of call for spares etc for Proflex,they are also the Risse shock importers and service agents,they can sort you out a shock but they are not cheap,alternativly you can look into adapting a shock to fit,a few on this site have done this,enjoy your bike its a great model.
www.cvi.co.uk
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 08:09:52 am »
thanks for the info simon, didnt realise the old girl was coming up to her 10th birthday though!! apparently xpx`s were only made in `96. shes looking good for a 9yr old.

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
Re: newbie (XP-X)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 09:39:53 pm »
Hi,
I'm an owner of an XP-X http://idriders.com/proflex/files/ProFlex-XPX.jpg; see my other posts http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/YaBB_K2/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1108423532;start=15

I've owned it since '97 which is when they were produced, I believe.
Also I believe they were only offered in the UK and this was by Ultra Sport UK.
They also offered an XP-6 and an XP-8 which I think were lower spec versions. I’ve seen a XP-6 for sale and the frame was orange.
The XP-X first sold for £1649 with MCU’s and was then offered with ODS and Coil over shocks for £1399

Yes, they are basically an 856, i.e the '96 BMW/Pro~Flex World Cup Frame. However, Girvin claimed that they had addressed several frame failure points by additional welding at critical points. The frame definitely does not have the through hole in the seat post tube which previously had been used for centre pull canti's. Instead it had Magura HS-33 Hydraulic rim brakes, also Grip Shift SRT600. The front forks were Vector II’s painted the same Blue as the rear swing arm.

Any shock that fits an 856 will be suitable for the XP-X, other people on the forum have more experience of this than me.

I’ve just spent some time looking on this forum and on the “855Heads” and elsewhere on the web for a report I remember seeing from someone (in the UK I think) who was invited to test the XP-X when it can out, he reported pretty favourably on it. But I can’t find it now, anyone else know what I mean?

You’ve done a nice job on the XP-X, congrats! I nearly replaced my frame with an 857, but I just can’t bear to strip the XP-X down, partly because I love the colours! It’s not that old…….they still look outrageous and as mine’s in such good condition, some people still think it’s the “latest thing”.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 10:28:06 pm by simmonc2 »
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 09:03:50 am »
cheers for that info colin. i only found out it was a `96 frame by using the cvi link in an earlier post, it was the only date that matched the xpx. i was actually thinking about stripping the frame down and getting it polished but as they seem such rare beasts i think i will stick to the original red and blue. unfortunately im going to stick with modern forks, as much as i would love to try the crosslink as ive never known brakes like whats its got on it now! ive kept to a cable rear as im not 100% sure of the rear disc mount as it was originally used on my cannondale and ive had to machine some alloy off around the dropout, but time will tell.