Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 03:20:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 44
Total: 44
44 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: ahh ..... great day!!  (Read 3669 times)

GaryF52

• Apprentice
  • It's only a little further to the top.
ahh ..... great day!!
« on: February 12, 2005, 02:00:09 pm »
Central California...middle of February...miles of green hills...and that damp, sticky hardpack singletrack, too moist to be dusty ...not another soul in sight...

Life is good.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: ahh ..... great day!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 08:26:38 pm »
That looks great, I'm sooooooo jealous I've had to put up with Rain,drizzel,wind,hail stones and today bl**^y Snow  [smiley=furious.gif]all since christmas and I'm getting fed up with it >:(,when the weathers nice we have some great trails around here but all my rides have lately just been a struggle through deep mud, mile after mile,I could travel to some all weather trails but I've not got the time at the moment,I shouldn't wish my life away but roll on summer.
Simon.  
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 11:09:09 pm »
Not another soul in sight... But, who took the picture?
I must admit I'm very jealous!

jeroen
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 04:55:35 am by stoerevent »

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 03:51:18 am »
what parts of CA Central Coast? That's my kinda place to ride!

the clay that's in those hills, not loamy like the forests..it can be okay if it's rainy, impossible if muddy or after a rain, and just right.... tacky, moist but not sticky enough to imbed in your treads...I've done it to, many times.

i admire the bike garb! i wonder if anyone makes denim baggies with a chamois [smiley=laughing.gif]

[smiley=beer.gif]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 03:55:25 am by carbon_angus »

jinder

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 05:52:57 am »
You lucky duck!  its -8oC here in Ontario...snow hills and everyones soul is in sight.    :(
Beast

GaryF52

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 07:12:39 am »
Location is Pacheco State Park, on Highway 152, east of Gilroy.  It's about a 25 min. drive from my home in the Cenrtal Valley (Los Baņos).   Not exactly on the coast, but beautiful riding year round and especially Feb-April when the hills are green and the temperature is mild.   When I'm not riding there, I'm usually working there, since I work for the CA. State Parks.  Great place to be.

Those denim shorts are just regular shorts.  Got my padded lycras on underneath.  I've found this to be about the most practical riding dress.  If it's chilly I strap on my knee-shin guards, as much for warmth as for protection.

If you're in the area and want to hook up for some riding, send me a message.

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 09:04:06 am »
Gary,
yes, it certainly does look like a great day. I esp. like the part about "not another soul in sight".

sounds wonderful to me, but alas not to be where I live. Here on LI, every other soul is either in sight or can be heard. case in point, I ride off road to get away from people. not that i don't like people, but i do like to be alone. However, this can't happen around here. last summer, I took a long ride and brought lunch along for the halfway point. I had a great ride, but when I stopped for lunch, instead of hearing the silence of the woods, i could hear cars on a highway. NOT what i was looking for.

anyway, please enjoy your solitude for both of us. I need to get away from here. florida, next week. the only solitude I will get is when I get on a sailboat and go out for a while.

can't wait for spring, hoping to find some more secluded trails.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

will

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 12:15:57 am »
Gary,

Your turf looks remarkably like the hills of Calabria in Southern Italy. Add in a few olive trees and some sheep and you're there.

Best place I ever lived...
Windsurf in the morning and ski in the afternoon!
The skiing wasn't much, but the mountain biking was terrific. And more solitude than Dennis could stand. Sure do miss it  [smiley=worry.gif]

I think we should all post pix of our favorite riding areas. Would like to see what those UK guys are riding...

Will

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 12:40:16 pm »
Will,

I used to live in Vermont, I can stand the peace and quiet, believe me. also spent time meandering on a mountain bike around Washington State and windsurfing in the Gorge, now THAT'S windsurfing.
of course, I missed racing the big boats which is what is so great about Long Island Sound.

however, not too quiet on the land.

I am planning to go to Italy next summer or the summer after. will have to check out Calabria, sounds like it would be a place I would like.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

williwoods

• Novice
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 01:41:21 am »
will,
ahhh yes calabria.......I have been there when I was a kid I cannot even imagine the mtn biking there, I have family that lives there, supposedly my cousins own the house  now. Its an incredible area for sure.
Music Is the Weapon of the Future

will

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 02:14:54 am »
Williwoods,
If you've got family there... GO! Just remember, the homemade wine is generally best used for cleaning clogged drains. You've got to ride up to an ancient village called Tiriolo and eat the roasted boar at the Ristorante de due Mare. Definitely a top five lifetime experience.

Dennis,
We've crossed a lot of paths... Vermont, big boat racing in LI Sound, windsurfing. Strange. Any chance you lived in the Upper Valley while in VT?

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 03:08:19 am »
Will,

Middlebury area in VT. yes, seems we have similar interests. I was in VT a LONG time ago. early to mid '70's, when VT was VT.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

5500C

• Journeyman
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 04:28:03 am »
Location is Pacheco State Park, on Highway 152, east of Gilroy.  It's about a 25 min. drive from my home in the Cenrtal Valley (Los Baņos).   Not exactly on the coast, but beautiful riding year round and especially Feb-April when the hills are green and the temperature is mild.   When I'm not riding there, I'm usually working there, since I work for the CA. State Parks.  Great place to be.

Those denim shorts are just regular shorts.  Got my padded lycras on underneath.  I've found this to be about the most practical riding dress.  If it's chilly I strap on my knee-shin guards, as much for warmth as for protection.

If you're in the area and want to hook up for some riding, send me a message.

I want to go!!!!!  Central CA is part of my sales area and want to go riding but never know where to go.  

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 06:40:13 am »
Hi Gary.

Ah yes Gilroy, the "Garlic Capital of the World". I have been there many times on Mission visits. The hills are very inviting.

You lucky dog working for the park service. Is the  govenator giving you guys a decent budget this year? My L.A County parks are cut to the bone. My haunts are the Santa Suzanna Mtns, pretty wrecked right now with all the rains.

Have you ever done the Sea Otter Classic at Laguna Seca?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

GaryF52

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 09:39:55 am »
Terry,
Weather the governators budget for parks is decent or not depends on who you talk to.   Parks are staying open, services are fairly normal, and they are actually doing some hiring, so from my perspective it's decent.

Laguna Seca...nice riding there.  Never raced the Sea Otter, but I rode the XC course on a practice day before the race a few years ago.  Thought I was doing pretty well keeping up with my friends who were sport class riders.  Then on the famous lonnnng climb near the end  of the course, dozens of racers blew by me and disappeared like I was going backwards!

5500C,
Lots of good riding here in Central Ca.   Quite a few good areas are listed at MTBR.COM.   Let me know what area your interested in and I'll be glad to share any info I have with you.