Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 11:22:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26
26 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Road Crank of MTB Flex?  (Read 3626 times)

Sprucey

• Journeyman
Re: Road Crank of MTB Flex?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 08:35:03 am »
I think the guys have covered everything.

I think you could convert the 856 but changing backward and forward is a pain in the proverbial.

Road rear mechs are availble in med length cages to cope with triple crank sets so that is no problem. Anyway, you could quite happily use an MTB rear mech - it doesn't have to be a road one.

Many people in the Uk are converting old steel hardtail MTBs to rigid forked, flat or drop barred commuter bikes for just the sort of trip you are planning. It can be done, the only limit id the height requirements of the front mech.

I reckon you could probably go to 48T with current MTB components and swap the rear cassette for a roadie 11-23 and use MTB slicks or touring tyres.

As for changing? Why - may be as a spare or guest bike if your main MTB is off the road. Even then, leave the road crankset on just swap the rear cassette - if You are light and fit a roadriple will work just as well.

Sprucey

ReBeL

• Novice
    • Kranky Bastards
Re: Road Crank of MTB Flex?
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2005, 09:30:41 am »
Holy Cow!!!

I can’t believe the response to this LoL

After all this and also talking with the tool & die guys at work…..I think I’ll try it on another 856 LoL no switching back and forth. I was told I can use a front road derailleur that mounts off the BB (used for bikes with out the down tube) That will make up for the curve in the 856’s down tube.

Maybe this summer I can try that. I still have to build up the MTB version first…has to be ready for April…I’d hate to be stuck racing my trek

Thanks for the input  

ReBeL Rick
[smiley=nod.gif]