Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 10:34:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: fork pivots binding / sticking  (Read 2460 times)

jon

fork pivots binding / sticking
« on: January 14, 2005, 01:15:57 am »
Rebuilding my old VECTOR 2 forks and for some reason 3 out of the 4 pivots are binding/sticking in their bearings

almost seems like the bearings have 'swelled up'

anybody got any ideas ?

thanks - uncle zaskar

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: fork pivots binding / sticking
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 07:31:13 am »
Many years ago my old vector 2's on my 856 most of the pivots seemed to be binding,when I loosened off the bolts they become free,it turned out the seals were slightly to wide so when I done up the retaining bolt they where pressed to hard against the flanges thus causing the binding,I gently rubbed them down on some fine grit paper till they where no longer binding but tight enough to seal,just a thought,if you try loosening the bolt and it becomes free this maybe your problem.
Simon.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 07:31:53 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 01:43:16 pm »
i use slick 50 on my xlink pivots (inject on the xlinks) - prevents wear and tear and potential sticking problems

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

jon

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 10:09:10 pm »
cheers for the hints guys

my pivots are binding even without the seals being fitted - I was attempting a 'dry-run' for re-assembly last night, and i cannot get the pivots into the bearings without a lot of force

when they are in there is no movement on the bearings - it feels like the things have seized

my only conclusion is over time the bearings have swelled up or distorted

for some reason 1 of the pivots is absolutely fine !

anymore idea's before i junk these forks

regards - jon

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 11:17:37 pm »
Ream the bushes out till the pivots slide in,
if you have no access to some small reamers try some course (ish)grit paper around a small metal rod with a slot in the end,put the paper in the slot then wrap the paper around the rod until the O/D is slightly less than the bush diameter,fit the other end of the rod into a fast power drill,put the wrapped paper into the bush and run the drill at a fast speed for a short period of time moving the drill in and out slightly (but stayin the bush),keep checking the pivot in the bush,when it feels like its nearly a slide fit change the paper to a fine grit to finish off.
You should end up with a nicely finished bush that should also be round.
Simon.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 11:20:09 pm by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 07:53:34 pm »
might be time for an excursion onto ebay for a x link upgrade,or maybe see what a bearing kit is worth
kiwi proflex rider

jon

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 10:40:53 pm »
Simon - took your advice but got local engineering shop to 'hone' the bearings

assembled up last night with new seals and shims, fork action without shock in is nice and smooth with no slop

all i need now is to find a spring to convert my ODS shock from elastomers - anybody got a suitable item ?

thanks - jon