Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 01:58:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49
49 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Changing 4500 forks  (Read 2471 times)

once50

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Changing 4500 forks
« on: December 13, 2004, 07:01:21 am »
Greetings fellow K2ers. I wonder if any of you have got pertinent advice on changing the judy's my 4500 came with to some crosslinks that I've just acquired off E-bay. I'm concerned that removing the old headset may risk damaging the headtube in which case would I be better knocking the crown race off the judys and use the existing headset (Dia compe). I really wanted to get a Chris King put on but not if it is going to risk the frame. Obviously I'm not going to do it but I'd be grateful for anyone's thoughts on the subject. I've had the bike for 5 years - glad to have found you all at long last. Mac

will

Re: Changing 4500 forks
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 09:09:14 am »
Mac,
I wouldn't sweat the headset swap. This is one of the most over-rated and unimportant moving parts on the whole machine. (IMHO)

At the same time, I just replaced a Zoke air fork with my new ebay crosslink fork this weekend. What a ride! That is one smooth, stiff, and responsive fork. Best $100 I ever spent. SWEET!

If you want to put a disk brake on your new fork, it's not as hard as you might think. I just posted photos under "disko inferno" if you're interested.

Will

once50

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 11:19:01 pm »
Will, pleased to hear from you and thanks for the reply. Obviously I cherish the K2 more than my wife and children, so  only want the best for it. I'm sure you're right re headset quality so I'm best not hammering the cups out of the frame if it can be avoided. If the crown race is knocked about removing it from the judys I would then have to try and get a matching headset to save changing cups in the frame. As I said it's not the cost that's a concern though Chris King's are well expensive, I'm just petrified of damaging the frame itself.

Regards and thanks again, Mac.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 06:34:41 am »
Knocking out old headset cups is normally easy and painless,use a soft punch/drift (eg Brass),knock them out through the head tube on the inside lip of the cup taking care to alternate around the cup lip so the cup comes out evenly,the most important thing is fitting the new cups,they must be pressed in square or you risk flaring the head tube,take to a reputable LBS if unsure,
I think when fitting new forks a new quality headset is a good idea though you don't have go as far as a Chris King unit unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket  [smiley=laughing.gif].
There are loads of quality units out there at a reasonable cost.
Simon.  
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

once50

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 06:34:00 am »
Hi there Simon,

good to hear from you. I think if I'm going to risk my K2 ( if I ever get the courage up to change the forks that is) I may as well go for broke with the headset - which is what I will be if I buy a King headset. Mind you they are advertised on E-bay at well below RRP but I've never followed an auction to the end. The main problem is it's working OK at the moment with Rockshox Judys on and I can only see trouble If it's messed with. I still couldn't resist buying the crosslinks though!

Best Wishes and thanks again for your thoughts,

Mac.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 08:25:20 am »
Nice to see another UK K2/Proflex rider [smiley=nod.gif],
if you ever decide to fit those forks and a new headset but still concerned about doing them yourself bring your bike down to me and I'll fit them, foc of course,
we could arrange a ride out afterwards,maybe some others could join us,Sprucey etc.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 07:36:14 pm »
now that sounds like a good plan simon!
kiwi proflex rider

once50

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 08:21:04 am »
Thanks for the kind offer mate, sorry about the delay in replying, my children and friends monopolise the PC!

Merry Christmas by the way.

Regards, Mac.