Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 07:14:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 43
Total: 43
43 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Race day disaster  (Read 2538 times)

Mega-oZ

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Race day disaster
« on: November 09, 2004, 05:51:02 am »
Had the chance for my first win,lead the race early on when my main challeger (who always wins) flew past me only to have his chain break,now in the lead only for my chain break and jam up between the cassette and dropout >:(,stuck without a chain breaker only for my rival to go past me after repairing his own and gave me his chain breaker (he's a mate),carried on my way only to find my rival again stopped this time a puncture,I pulled out after Dad said the chain may give up again [smiley=depressed.gif],wasn't the best day for both of us,would probabaly had my first win if I'd rode my Dads bike as origionally planned,didn't due to Dads experimental floating brake system,he didn't want to risk it,wish we'd taken the chance,roll on next season.
Mega-Oz
P.S I blame my Dad [smiley=laughing.gif]
K2 Oz, Mega-air, XERO feral wheelset,Hope mini's,XT,WTB Ti.Middleburn cranks,Raceface B/B,Risse Astro5,FSA x115,Answer pro taper carbon bars,Egg beaters,Ti bolts.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Race day disaster
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 06:54:28 am »
Mega-Oz.

You guys must be monster riders to break chains and puncture tires. What kind of chain doe's your pop use that won't break? Siminium alloy?

Shovelon

P.S My kids name is skarekrow86, rides a cannondale.
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 08:12:59 am »

P.S I blame my Dad [smiley=laughing.gif]

There's a suprise,and who bought the new chain and cassette ???
Sram PG850 cassette and a ConneX wippermann 808 chain, 10,000 newton breaking load,lets see you break that one.
Maybe I shouldn't of said that :P
Be patient it will come,roll on next season.
Simon (Dad)
Shovelon try and get that son of yours (skarekrow86) on a Proflex/K2 then he can join in,how old is your lad ???
Hey even my wife has an 856.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 08:22:27 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 03:06:50 am »
Simon,

My lad just turned 18 and started junior college. Does not ride much lately, and would never give up his trusty cannondale. Has met Tinker Juarez, his biking idol. Even likes the cannondale garb.

My wife rides an novara hardtail. Getting a bike to fit her led us to this one. She too is hard pressed to hop on, with her new job and all.

My daughter is next for me to pester. No wonder the family baught me the "Dad Gone Mad" shirt!

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 12:33:48 pm »
Congrats on a valiant effort!

I'm still not sure how chains break. I've never broken one in almost 19 years of regular riding! (Knock on wood). In fact, my current single speed has my old road bike chain that was on my 6 speed road bike for 10 years! I think maybe I'm not pushing hard enough!

As for Cannondale fans and their loyalty... I'd have to say it's probably the closest thing to our own little K2/Proflex obsession! I personally own a Cannondale road bike, several items of Cannondale clothing, and my next mountain bike may well be a Cannondale... (I love the Jekyll). Of course, my current ride will probably last through the next century, so I may never have an excuse to replace it!
:)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 05:40:03 pm »
I am 95 odd kg and in my years of mtbing have broken only one chain,cross chaining up a stop bank,ie high gear wrong chainline,big effort ="broken" chain
kiwi proflex rider

zulu

• Journeyman
  • I love da dirt!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 03:06:31 am »
Sorry to hear you didnt finish the race but you still had fun right? Thats to whole point of racing is to be competitive and have fun. 8)
Keep on riding! ;)
2006 S-Works Stumpy.
2005 S-Works Epic
2003 Spec. Stumpy FSR Comp.
Pro-flex 856

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 04:50:30 am »
That must have been a real messy (mucky) race for chains to break like that. My guess is you picked somethign up that wedged in and popped a plate.

...never bite the hand that feeds you! [smiley=laughing.gif] if you want to see a floating brake on your bike!!!

[smiley=beer.gif]

Mega-oZ

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 04:21:16 am »
Thanks for your replies and cheers for your encouragement ;D, yes it was a messy race better things to come next sesson [smiley=laughing.gif].
My next race is in february and I'll keep you posted.
Mega-Oz
K2 Oz, Mega-air, XERO feral wheelset,Hope mini's,XT,WTB Ti.Middleburn cranks,Raceface B/B,Risse Astro5,FSA x115,Answer pro taper carbon bars,Egg beaters,Ti bolts.