Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 01:20:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40
40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: SPV air shock ????  (Read 2848 times)

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
SPV air shock ????
« on: November 05, 2004, 01:32:12 am »
I know there was a recent thread on rear shocks, which I ignored because I didn't think I could justify the money to replace a shock that is still functioning. But after seeing some of the new stuff up close on my recent riding vacation, I have decided to look into the manitou shocks. I saw a titus supermoto with a 8.25" on the back, and for such a burly bike the wt was amazing. The same bike with the coil shock was noticably heavier.The Titus reps said that this air shock is very strong so if I can steal one for a decent price I might give it a try. I will probably end up with a bike that weighs the same tho, as I want to put some beefier tires on it.OK so how easy is it to put this type of shock on an Evo, any mods to frame or shock required? The i-i is right, does anyone know what the stroke is ?

My fork is going to have to last a year or two so I am not in the market, but the new Nixon and Pike forks are amazing for 'all mountain' riding.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: SPV air shock ????
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 02:44:32 am »
Numbnuts,

Once a long while back Manitou was making an 8.25 Swinger Air shock for Trek. Last Feb they told me that they have discontinued that lenght in favor of the 7 7/8" maximum lenght for the air swingers. Same with 5th element. So I went for the 8.5 i2i coil swinger on my Oz.

And yes the shock weighs about 1000 grams, or over 2 lbs. I can tell you that the difference in ride is indescribable, fully adjustable, and once dialed in it is set and forget. I don't notice the extra weight because it pedals so nice.

The stroke is so smooth and grippy that I have decided to keep the semislicks on the back(1.95 wide Kenda karisma). Still smother running that the old shock.

I have looked at the Nixon Platinum and like it very much. My Psylos are not holding their own against the Swinger on the back although ride hieght at 5 inches is OK. So I have installed a Stratos ID inertia valve cartridge. So far it rides like as if you dropped a handful of ballbearings on a glass table top. I expect tunnel carple to set in elbows and wrists shortly.Totaly smooth on drops but rock hard on washboards. So I will be tearing it down looking for dirt or grit siezing the inertia weight, and changing to lighter shock oil. Really the only difference is that it is an automatic lockout, as opposed to the lever.

So I need you to buy that Nixon as soon as possible. Need a good opinion as to cut loose with 800 samolians for it or the Maverick. Not to mention 200 more samolians for the hub and dreaded deesk brayke that I have successfully avoided this long.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 02:48:41 am »
Oh and stroke for Swinger air is 2 inches. Swinger Coil 8.5 i2i is 2.5".
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 03:07:00 am »
Numbnuts,

Good news! I just checked the Manitou web site and they just added an 8.5" i2i x 2.5" stroke Swinger Air 4. Weighs less that 1 lb.

Anybody want to buy a Swinger coil 4, 8.5 i2i x 2.5 stroke?

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 06:25:19 am »
Thanks, are you using that shock on a medium frame?

The Titus guy said it was a 8.25 they were using, but he could have been wrong or it may be only for their frames and not on the market, I wouldn't have a problem with using a 8.5
. I assume that if the coil fits the air one will also.

I am going to start checking web sites and trawling ebay!

I think I prefer the Nixon to the Maverick, just the way it looks! Also the Nixon has a very neat remote lockout, something that I could use on my Zokie.

jimbo

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 08:13:45 am »
Totaly smooth on drops but rock hard on washboards. So I will be tearing it down looking for dirt or grit siezing the inertia weight, and changing to lighter shock oil. Really the only difference is that it is an automatic lockout, as opposed to the lever.

Terry

Did you talk to Stratos about this?  Do they have tuning recommendations to make the ride smoother?

debaucherous

shovelon?
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 08:30:44 am »
Shovelon said: "Anybody want to buy a Swinger coil 4, 8.5 i2i x 2.5 stroke?"  

What are you asking for it?

debaucherous_at_hotmail_dot_com

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 12:04:16 pm »
Yes I will be contacting Stratos when I am satisfied that I didn't install poorly. They did warn me to watch out for debris that can jam the weight.

As soon as I confirm that the Swinger air is available I will part with the coil for 200 bucks? Sound reasonable?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS