Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2024, 06:15:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 35
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42
42 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Disc Brake IS Mount Facing  (Read 2027 times)

phillidw

• Novice
  • wanna-b-tech
Disc Brake IS Mount Facing
« on: September 23, 2004, 11:48:01 am »
I am in the process of upgrading my 2001 K2 Razorback Team from rim brakes to Magura Marta disc brakes.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience with facing of the IS mounts for the brake calipers?  Is it a "must have" or just a good idea for the break caliper/pads to allign properly with the rotor under dynamic conditions? Any thoughts?  

Also, anyone have any thoughts associated with using larger diameter rotors on the front wheel for increased braking?

Thanks. [smiley=beer.gif]

bikendan

• Journeyman
Re: Disc Brake IS Mount Facing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 04:21:05 pm »
i have a '01 team with a noleen mega air fork. i put formula gold b-4 discs on it and never had the mounts faced. i'd check how the paint is on the mounts. but i'd just bolt them on and shim as needed. see how that works before going to all the trouble.
there no need to go bigger than the 6" rotor on a xc bike. anything bigger is overkill.

Sprucey

• Journeyman
Re: Disc Brake IS Mount Facing
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 11:56:20 pm »
Facing the disc mounts is nice but not necessary in every case.

Use the shims provided first and don't be surprised if you have a different number on each mounting bolt. The mounts on most bikes and forks tend not to be even.

If the brakes lack power and squeal all the time then it might be worth getting the mounts faced.

Hope make a good tool that the enthusiast can use and most decent bike shops will have tool of some sort to do the job.

Sprucey