Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 01:18:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 52
Total: 52
52 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: SPV shock for k2/proflex 4000  (Read 9576 times)

dogxcd

• Novice
SPV shock for k2/proflex 4000
« on: September 16, 2004, 09:52:46 pm »
hi
still running original shock on k2 4000 from '99
i thought about upgrading to stable platform damping/curnutt/whatever rear shock + would be grateful for suggestions re appropriate makes/models

many thanks

dog

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
Re: SPV shock for k2/proflex 4000
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 11:43:32 am »
I think I have heard that the Manitou Swinger SPV shocks don't fit, but I know there are people running Progressive Suspension 5th Element shocks on k2's. Unfortuanetly I don't have any specifics.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 12:05:47 pm »
Dog,

I upgraded to a Manitou Swinger 4 coil shock. There is a sweet spot that I have had to maintian when I did this though. The noleens are I2I 8.2 inches, with .5 inchs of sag to optimize the pivot lockout. Not enough sag and my bike would jack a bit under power, too much sag and my bike would bob under power. All this when in small ring and pointed up.

There is not an SPV or 5th element with i2i 8.2 inches. You could get 7 7/8 or 8.5 inches. The smaller would bob all day long but I could then pump in the platform pressure to defeat this. The longer would jack under load but then I could let it sag to the original sweet spot to counter the jack and then add SPV pressure to offset any bob.

What I settled on was the 8.5 i2i shock. With the 2.5 inches of stroke, I have about 6.5 inches of travel at the wheel and have maintained the same BB hieght with a good 1 inch of sag. I do jack alittle more when braking, but the bottomless feel I get all other times is priceless. I am now trying to get the front end this good. Been fussing around with my Psylo, but may purchase a 6 inch travel fork to match the Swinger.

This is what I did, OP got a used 5th element coil with 8.5 i2i and I think he likes it.

Someone has mounted a 7 7/8 inch shock and had experienced the crank dragging on occasion because the bottom bracket got lower. Maybe someone else can comment about the BB height.

Have fun, Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

soboko

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 12:23:50 pm »
Hey,

I'm in a similar situation.  I have a '98 5000 with the original Smart Shock in the back.  I was going to give up on this bike but I discovered this forum and it's great.  I'm going to try to get a few more years of life out of this bike.  I just put an '03 Psylo SL on the front and the rear suspension is next.

I was thinking about putting a Fox Float R or a Vanilla RC on since they seem to be widely available but I was wondering about what size I should get for my frame.  I  know I can get a 7.875", but do they make an 8.5"?

I've read that I might need to make some modifications in order to get one of these shocks on my bike.  Anyone know what kind of mods those might be?  Mods to the bike, the shock, or what?

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 12:52:16 pm »
I don't know what mods a Fox would need, but I had to clearance the spring cap and relieve the spring a bit at the swing arm side. I felt that  the cap and spring are expendable if I screwed up. Everything fits like a champ now. The frame side had plenty of clearance already.

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

dogxcd

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 09:23:47 am »
thanks for the prliminary guidance chaps

from a brief google search,it seems fox do 8.25" i2i-what mods have people had to make please?

any guidance from an air 5th element user would be welcome

ciao

dog

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 12:23:56 am »
Like Op I have fitted the longer 8.5" I2I 5th Element to the Oz and it is wonderful. I have not ridden it as much as I would like as I have been away working but have done about 4 rides on it, including a 2 day 100mile Southdowns way ride in the south of the UK.

The shock is so tunable that I am only just scratching the surface regarding set up and performance.

But, it does work and cuts out virtually all the pedal induced bob but gives me very smooth travel when I need it and far more than the Noleen Nr2 it replaced.

I had to use a hacksaw and file to cut a notch out of the lower mount on the swing arm to allow for the wider and longer coil spring and i used a little sand paper on the carbon spine at the top where the top of the shock was just making contact.

Now all I need is a Ti spring to reduce the weight.......! No mark - keep your wallet in your pocket!

Sprucey

colinv

• Journeyman
  • LFC till I die!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 08:07:59 am »
Sorry to add onto your post, but it seems relevant, I'm looking to replace my rear shock on my K2 carbon, at the moment it is a NR4 with Ti spring, what are some of the best rear replacement shock we can run on this type of frame?
K2 carbon, XTR mechs, XT v-brakes, Mavi cross ride wheels, XT chainset and lovely Pace RC38LTs.
Custom built Cougar, Ultegra allover for those roadie days

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 11:53:22 am »
Thats good news that the Manitou Swinger SPV's fit, as posted earlier.

Your best bet for rear shocks are probably the 5th Element, Manitou Swinger 3, 4, or 6 Way SPV, and the Fox Vanilla R or RC.

All are available in sizes to fit the K2's... but some require a little coaxing! If you know what I mean. I have seen some people just cram the Fox RC's in and they work fine yet others had to grind down the bushings a bit because they were a little to wide.

Just remember the 5th Elelment and Manitou Swingers Pedal damping effects are based off of an air valve so they need to be pumped up periodically. If you don't you can cause serious damage to your shock. But, the Fox's with "Pro Pedal" are based on an oil based system that you don't have to do anything with. Or so I have heard.

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 12:32:58 pm »
a couple of years ago, the first batch of replacement shocks used were mostly the fox rc's and guys ended up with the 8.5's.   risse astro's and stratos shocks will fit and perform with the 2.7 leverage ratio of the rear end (give or take).

i'm glad to see sprucey got his 5th up and running and i hope he enjoys it as much as i do mine.

a lot of different fox's fit the frames - the swingers do as well.

i also run a talas r in the rear on my spare bike - c/o my pics in the gallery - and like it as well once i had it rebuilt the second time, very light and very adjustable with 3 different length settings and can be done on the fly.

oh, and i've used nr2's, 4's and 5's - it's all good

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 01:18:20 am »
My 5th Element has been great and was an easy fit - 10 minutes with basic home work shop tools and it was done.

I have used it a bit but am still fiddling with all the settings to perfect the ride  but right from the word go it was much better than the NR2 it replaced. More travel, the threshold damping works and it is very pushy when it does activate.

I have been away for two weeks in Sardinia sailing and recovering for two weeks from an ankle injury sustained doing the same so have not been on the bike for a while. Had hoped to post more re: settings by now but it will have to wait.
So, the 5th Element is great - just what our single pivot bikes weed. The manitou Swinger coils are almost direct copies  so should fit just as well and Simon in the UK has had great service from Risse (who I believe may be bringing in threshold damping shocks as well).

Sprucey

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 01:04:08 pm »
i can't say with all the sailing i've done in my life that i've ever sprained an ankle doing so -

i did get a few rope burns over time and was consistently having problems with my finger nails from trying to open those beer cans when tacking  [smiley=beer.gif], so we switched over to the twist top bottles.  

after i learned to duck and twist at the same time, life was good.

OP
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 01:12:18 pm by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 11:58:24 pm »
Hi Op,

my kind of sailing but unfortunately not in this case.

Sailing a 67ft flush decked Frers designed race boat with full carbon rig and carbon sails.

The deck is so lage I nearly need the Oz to get around it!

Sprucey

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2004, 03:04:04 am »
The new fox DHX stuff is available now too...I've got one on the Heckler.  It looks like it should fit and Evo with similar mods to the RC.
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 05:16:47 am »
For the Quadruple post: Ok, Ok, We get the point!  ;D

About the Fox DHX, that looks like a sweet shock, but I thought they were only making them for Kona and not selling them to the public? Then again I gues you could just go though kona and tell them you bought the bike off of somebody and it needs a new shock, and have them get a "replacement" for you. I think that shock would be a supreme adition to a Evo / Disco / etc.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 05:17:00 am by Kevins19 »