Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 02:21:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 45
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40
40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New Mega Air problem-what I found was a stripped  (Read 2067 times)

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
New Mega Air problem-what I found was a stripped
« on: May 26, 2004, 02:18:40 pm »
piston (#15) where the alloy rebound damping rod threads into the plastic piston. K2 sent me to Noleen and I was told they have no parts for this fork. I've left a number at K2's warranty dept. but don't hold out much hope. Fork was bought from eDiscount and used for 2.

Now, I'm posting here in the hopes someone has a possible remedy using the stripped/out of production part?  Who'd of thunk a 2 year old fork would be out of production on service parts!!
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

Harv

Re: New Mega Air problem-what I found was a stripp
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 12:56:02 am »
Had that same part strip last year.  I was able to get a replacement part from K2 warranty via a local shop.  Took about a week to get the parts.

However, that same shop had been swapping Megas to RS Dukes via K2 warranty.  But again, that was a year ago.

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 02:30:19 am »
Thanks Harv.  I went straight to the customer service at K2 and was told they have NADA but who knows-maybe through a dealer I'll get a break and one'll be "found".  What's worse is I didn't even do the stripping-a gorilla had wound the rebound valve so tightly in that the piston was stripped-or the fit between piston and stanchion is to tight as it was very snug and resisted my trying to move it along inside the stanchion.
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 04:13:33 am »
Take the piston (15)to a auto engine repair shop,see if they can match up a heli coil insert that has an internal thread to suit the shaft (17),as the piston already has a thread in it it should be fine to rethread slightly larger to accept an insert,this should give a permanent repair.
Simon.  
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 06:11:58 am »
I have a used one from a pre-VTO model that I canibalized. Drop me a PM if you want me to post it to you.

[smiley=beer.gif]