Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 07:26:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46
46 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New rear shock for OZm  (Read 2473 times)

Hammerheart

• Novice
New rear shock for OZm
« on: September 14, 2003, 03:20:41 pm »
Okay... it's time to replace that NR-2 with something better. Not sure what to get though. I prefer coil over air sprung. Will this one fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3626569031&category=42317

I know the I to I on the NR-2 is 8". How big of a change in the geometry will 1/8" make? Will the Stratos increase the travel any? Will that spring rate be suitable for my 220 lbs? Thanks for the info guys.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: New rear shock for OZm
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 07:35:14 pm »

the biggest problem with non k2 specific shocks is will they fit between the upper shock mount plates?

7 and 7/8 will make your angles a bit slacker as the standard length is 8 1/4

Matno is the stratos guru and i amm sure he will chime in.Stratos may be able to add a k2 tail....or is that risse that do that????

hth
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 07:37:07 pm by kiwi »
kiwi proflex rider

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 07:41:27 pm »
Plan on adding about $65 to the cost of the shock if you want it to fit a Proflex. You have to add a Proflex "tail" to fit in the frame. Stratos will rebuild the whole shock at the same time. You probably need new bushings as well, which Stratos sells for about $7 each last time I checked. It should make the shock exactly 1/2" longer, which is stock length (8.25" not 8"). The Stratos should increase your travel to approximately 6.48" (rough estimate for EVO frame = 2.7 x stroke length).

FWIW, even if you shorten the shock length to 7 7/8" it works just fine. That's how long my Stratos Helix Pro is and I love it. However, I only get 2.1" stroke length.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 06:46:33 am »
Matt, that wiil slacken the geometry due to increased sag going form a 2.4 form a 1.7 stroke shock, still...right ???

also point to ponder is what is up front (fork)...he would't want to do this with an x-link up front or even a 3 inch fork...IMO

ps getting more sleep ??? [smiley=yawn.gif]

Hammerheart

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 09:58:24 am »
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll just spend the extra money and order a new one. Also, I do have the x-link up front right now, but am looking to replace it this winter. I hate to as I love the x-link to death. I've had one ever since my 856. I just want to get a little more travel up front. Any suggestions for a good fork? Will the frame handle a dual crown fork, or should I stick with a single crown? I am mostly a x country rider with some light freeriding thrown in here and there, but I am a bit on the heavy side. Again, thanks for the input.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 03:25:53 pm »
Matt, that wiil slacken the geometry due to increased sag going form a 2.4 form a 1.7 stroke shock, still...right ???

also point to ponder is what is up front (fork)...he would't want to do this with an x-link up front or even a 3 inch fork...IMO

ps getting more sleep ??? [smiley=yawn.gif]

Well, I assume that if you have an 8.5" eye to eye with 2.4 stroke, and you set it with 40% sag (.96") that would make it similar to a shock with a 7.875" eye to eye and 1.7" stroke that is set to 20% sag or so. (Or even simpler, if your comparing shocks with the same eye to eye, the one with the longer stroke can be set at the same "settled height" by having more sag. Does that make sense?

I fully agree that a 3" fork is a bad combination with increased rear travel. In fact, I hated my 3 inch fork even with the stock 4" rear. Not that the fork was bad (it was perfect on my hardtail), but it was too little travel for full suspension trail riding and often pitched me over the bars because it was too short...

And yes, I had a nice long nap today. Thanks for asking. Nothing will wear you out in the same way as delivering a baby from a 400 lb woman via C-section. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to retract that much fat during surgery!  [smiley=bleh.gif]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 03:28:10 pm by matno »
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5