Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 08:18:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51
51 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Upgrade to 9 speed?  (Read 2495 times)

tmaybee

• Master
  • Go ride!
Upgrade to 9 speed?
« on: September 09, 2003, 09:08:52 am »
Hi there.  I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on upgrading from 8 to 9 speed?   Is that wise or should I stock up on 8 speed XTR parts?  

From what I see online, the Ti cassettes in 8 speed are roughly the same price as 9 speed.  

Right now I am running x-ray gripshift with 8 speed XTR rear der and 8 speed XT front.  Would I have to change deraileurs as well?  I think 9 speed XTR rings will fit on the M950 8 speed crank.

I am also wondering if shimano will switch over to 10 speed and then I would have to repeat this process again.

Any thoughts ???

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Upgrade to 9 speed?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 09:33:33 am »
Hopefully I've managed to send you an 8-9 speed article hope it is of some help to you.Simon [smiley=nod.gif]
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

jimbo

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 10:03:45 am »
I just switched a couple weeks ago.  I was debating to stay at 8 speed or switch to 9 speed also.  Except for the cassette, shifter and chain, my bike was basically replaced with 9 speed stuff anyway.  I finally decided to switch when it came time to replace the cassette.  I ended up buying a new cassette, shifter and chain to make my bike a 9 speed.

I was able to go from a 32 tooth low gear to a 34 tooth gear which is really nice on our steep climbs.   ;D

On the  negative side the SRAM Rocket shifter is wider than the X-Ray I replaced so my brake lever is in a different position than before.   [smiley=furious.gif]This probably no  big thing for normal riders, but I like to keep my hands off the shifter when I use one finger braking.  I just ordered a brake lever set with longer levers so this should solve my glitch. 8)

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 03:54:59 pm »
i can only imagine the shifting issues front and rear on a 10 speed mountain bike with a dirty chain.  i get a piece of sand on my chain and it'll wrap on the 22.

recently took one bike 9 speed after the gearing and chain wore out and i have an abundance of xtr 8 speed stuff in the box as in two complete sets of ogd shifter levers and v brakes.  i think i prefer the shifting forgiveability of the 8 but the gear selection of the 9

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

jimbo

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 05:49:33 pm »

Right now I am running x-ray gripshift with 8 speed XTR rear der and 8 speed XT front.  Would I have to change deraileurs as well?  I think 9 speed XTR rings will fit on the M950 8 speed crank.Any thoughts ???

If you get the 11-32 9 speed cassette, the only thing you need to do is get a 9 speed shifter and chain.  

If you get the 11-34 9 speed cassette, you need a newer rear derailleur in addition to chain and shifter.  The older 8 speed stuff had a maximum gear range of 32.

Your 8 speed front deraileur and crank should work on a 9 speed.  The shifting might be a little slower though than 9 speed stuff.

knumbnuts

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 02:37:12 am »
if 10 spd does appear i guess there will be problems with strength cos they are going to need a thinner chain and cogs. If the range is extended above 34t then i suppose we'll be able to ditch our front der's, I have a friend who has already done this with 9spd and he's pretty happy, he occasionally has to get off going up when we are using granny but he ends up walking the same speed that we pedal! I do like having the 34t on the back so am glad i "upgraded"