Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 08:27:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48
48 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: stroke length on coil shocks?  (Read 2628 times)

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
stroke length on coil shocks?
« on: September 07, 2003, 05:09:09 am »
is the stroke measured to the top of the "bottom out elastomer" or the bottom of this elastomer.
I have a vanilla R which I thought had a 2" stroke, (measured to the top of the elastomer), but I have read posts referring to this shock as a 2.3" stroke shock.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: stroke length on coil shocks?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2003, 08:56:57 am »
Remove the shock and remove the spring, stroke the shaft through to one extreme and take measurement from a fixed point on the shocks body to a point on the shaft then stroke through to the other extreme and take measurement from the same fixed point and the same point on the shaft, the difference between the two measurments will give you your shocks stroke shouldn't take 10 minutes then you'll know. Simon [smiley=redface.gif]
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

jimbo

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 09:07:34 am »
The Vanilla R in the 7.875 inch is available both in the 2.00 and 2.25 stroke.   More the stroke = more travel.   ;D

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2003, 03:02:24 am »
I have an 8" van r and the spring it came with [from the factory i think] has 500 x 2.29 written on it so i always assumed the shock stroke was ~ 2.3. I remember someone once explaining some stuff about stroke of shock vs spring but i can't remember how it went. If they are not exact is it better to use a spring with a longer or shorter stroke than the shock?

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2003, 04:17:53 am »
Longer,example the Nr4 damper had 1.5" stroke with a 1.75 stroke spring, if the spring was shorter the coils would all bind together and become solid before the damper has bottomed out.Simon
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

drtunit

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 04:32:43 am »
As to the shock travel, the measurement is for the available travel not including the elastomer compression. Depending on the spring manufacturer, the size may relate to the inside diameter and not the travel, err on the long side but then you may need to compress the spring to install it which will preload the spring but better than running into coil bind-either way get the right length of spring.
"I may be old, fat and slow...huff...puff...but...aw the heck with it, I need to take a break"

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 12:08:23 pm »
anyone know the stroke length of the NR-2 on worldcup frames?

thanks!  [smiley=beer.gif] :P
03 Razorback
Santa Cruz Tazmon Frame Forsale
Proflex 3000 and Crosslink Fork Forsale
Spinergy Rev Carbon Wheelset Forsale

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2003, 09:03:05 pm »
1.75 in
kiwi proflex rider