Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 06:19:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26
26 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Tire hitting swingarm?  (Read 2763 times)

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Tire hitting swingarm?
« on: September 04, 2003, 03:40:14 pm »
  I have an 01' Way Big Disco Monkey. Sun Singletrack wheels w/  WTB Motorapator 2.4 tires. The tire rubs on the left side (non drive side) swingarm. The wheel in offset about 10mm in this direction . I tried another rim to eliminate a dish problem- same thing. Am I running too big a tire? or ? What to do. Thanks

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: Tire hitting swingarm?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 12:43:23 am »
The rear wheel should NOT be offset in the swingarm. Perhaps your dropouts are crooked somehow. The easiest way to tell is to flip your wheel around backwards (i.e. cassette on the left side). If there is a dish problem (and a lot of wheels have a problem...) then it should be offset in the other direction. If it still rubs on the same side, you need to do something about those dropouts!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 01:56:38 am »
one of the easiest things to do is to make the dropouts the same length away from the pivot point via a jig when manufacturing.

i have two carbon fiber swingarms that offset as you describe (to the left) - i've never cared to "DREMEL!!!!" my dropouts to make the adjustment and straighten the problem.

(hopefully your issue is just wheel dish)

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 02:39:11 am »
You're not the only one.  I have the same issue with my Evo.  I just dished the wheel a bit more toward the drive side.  I think that some of this is due to disc hubs.  Maybe they have to be dished further??(sounds odd, but you never know)  On the other hand...maybe it's a manufacturing glitch with the tolerances on the frame jigs...
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

kkeen

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 07:39:21 am »
 I am going to flip the rim as Matno suggested, to rule out a rim issue. I called K2 about the problem and was suggested to dish the rim away from the problem. I don't really like the idea of band aid fixes. K2 admitted the welding of there swingarms wasn't an excact science.

jimbo

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 07:59:59 am »
2.3's are the largest tires I run on the rear and that's asking for trouble on really sticky muddy days.

My alignment went off once when I bent my drailleur hanger.  I've used a coke can as a shim to fix the alignment problem till I got a new hanger.  I cut a piece and folded it to the right thickness and shimmed the replaceable hanger side, not the permanent dropout side.  

Gordo

• Novice
  • Don't make fun of the stripes
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2003, 10:40:23 am »
Gruess what I got the same problem on my 98 animal with a deore disk hub with a rhyno lite ans 2.3 Kenda. The left side swingarm is only 5 mm from the tire. I am going to try the flipping trick though.
98 Animal

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 06:01:45 pm »
Anyone remember the all aluminum Nishiki Aliens?  I have one.  They have supreme mud clearance.  So much that XTR, XT, LX v-brakes will not work on the rear as the stays are so far apart.  The design puts the rear wheel real close to the front deraileur.  I had to dish my wheel the other way and have been running it like that for 5 years.  It has worked well even though the rear tire does not line up exactly with the frame.  Mud from the rear wheel would shed onto the front der. and then the chain so much that it was a problem.  I use the bike in the winter and when I want to remember what hard tail and hard nose (no front suspension) bikes were like.   Knocks my fillings out. [smiley=laughing.gif]
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2003, 05:27:31 am »
This may be a different issue but here it goes. I had my wheels rebuilt, and apparently the wheel maker, more of a motorcycle wheels' maker,  centered the rim to the middle of the hub's spoke attachments. The final result is a wheel offset to the non-drive side. Since I use rim brakes, these have to be leaned (a lot) towards the non drive side.

I took the rear wheel back and asked the mechanic to center the rims taking the flywheel length into account.  The rim is then positioned perfectly in the middle of the frame. In building the wheels this way, the drive side spokes, may need to be a bit shorter than the non drive side.

I have had this problem with more than one wheel builder.

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2003, 03:10:51 am »
I had the same problem, poor clearance on the non drive side [and a bitch to align my rim brakes] with 2.4 tires. there was no hitting and only a problem on muddy days. I was going to have the wheel redone as i figured it was dished but a truck fixed the problem for me by totalling the wheel. I borrowed a friends spare wheels and they sit bang in the middle so it confirmed the dish theory. the brakes work better now too.