Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 10:20:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 31
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16
16 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: did i shorten my chain too much?  (Read 2676 times)

bayarearider

• Journeyman
did i shorten my chain too much?
« on: August 30, 2003, 04:29:12 am »
was installing a new chain today and i might have goofed. I used the shimano method (big chainring to largest gear on cassette + 2 chainlinks) But i didn't account for my rear suspension.
After chopping the piece off did i realize what had happened. I then took my new chain and measured it up against my old chain, and it is exactly 1 chainlink longer than my old chain.

I also changed my cassette from 11-30 to 11-32. So two extra teeth to account for.

does my chain sound too short, or will i be ok with the length i have?

riding waybig proflex 3000 frame
03 Razorback
Santa Cruz Tazmon Frame Forsale
Proflex 3000 and Crosslink Fork Forsale
Spinergy Rev Carbon Wheelset Forsale

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: did i shorten my chain too much?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2003, 05:28:51 am »
Put it in big chainring and big cassette sprocket, remove spring from rear shock operate the suspension from uncompressed to fully compressed and watch your chain and see if it puts any undue strain anywhere, see if the rear mech is being pulled forward to far, eg is it pulled horizontal, you will see quite easily if there is a problem,Simon [smiley=nod.gif]  
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2003, 08:27:04 am »
thanks simon,

i just finished installing all my new drivetrain parts including new clipless pedals (Switched from platforms)

I am gonna go around the block to practice getting in and out of these.

Question:  Is it neccessary to Grease the sprockets on a new cassette?  How about Chainrings?  I lubed the heck out of the new chain.  But didn't lube the teeth on the cassette and chainrings.

thanks
03 Razorback

jimbo

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2003, 10:02:52 am »

does my chain sound too short, or will i be ok with the length i have?
riding waybig proflex 3000 frame

Even if it's on the short size, you'll only have problems riding a big - big combo.  You shouldn't being doing that anyway. [smiley=furious.gif]  I like riding a chain with a link or 2 short.  It helps keep the chain from derailling on rough downhills. ;D

« Last Edit: August 30, 2003, 10:03:39 am by jimbo »

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2003, 10:22:49 am »
No,no grease, Just lube the chain with your favourite lube and you'll be fine.Simon [smiley=nod.gif]
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2003, 12:27:07 pm »
only lube then wipe the chain (as said)

never ever run, big / big combo (as said)

always keep your extra links (not said yet - well, just said)

with you with your chain breaker in your pack or kit - chains break on the trail for a variety of reasons and a spare couple of links will come in handy - if not for you then for your buds.  keep in an old spare tire patch repair kit plastic box along with a paper clip)

personal experience,

OP

and no - it the chain sounds about the right length, just never go big big (why would anyone want to go fast in the front and slow in the rear?  that crosschaining)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2003, 12:27:39 pm by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2003, 01:09:44 pm »
here is a pic of the chain install.  The chain is on the middle ring up front and 4 ring in the rear.

does the derailleur hang look about right? or should i shorten?

thanks for all the help !
03 Razorback

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2003, 08:57:30 pm »
looks ok but without being there its hard to say, (you have to take into account the suspension operation etc), if it looks alright in the ratio's from 1 (inner) with 1 through to 4 on the cassette, 2 (middle) with 1 through to 9 or 8 depending wheather your running 8 or 9 speed, and 3 (outer) 5 through to 9 or 8 then you'll be fine. these are the ratio's you should generally be using to avoid any excessive drive line strain or wear.Simon  [smiley=laughing.gif]

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2003, 02:27:41 am »
there's a lot of front/rear chain tension adjustablility in the b-screw as well.  that's the small, usually phillips head screw that goes thru the derailler at the main pivot and rests against the hanger stop.  screwing it in pulls the derailler back and tensions the chain, screwing it out moves the derailler forward and reverses the action - careful, it also affects the rideability of the derailler g-pulley over especially the larger gears so it needs to be adjusted fore and aft properly.

when in doubt, have an lbs mech take a quick look at it but if it's shifting well, ride it.

OP

Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2003, 03:26:43 am »
The main thing to make sure of before you ride is that in any of the gears you are using that when the suspension compresses that the chain tension does not rise to the point that it starts to prevent the suspension from fully compressing, this when damage or excessive wear can occur, if this seems ok but you are still concerned that you may have cut it to short please fit another new chain the same length as your origional one, its easy for us to say what to do but for the sake of a few $$ you will have piece of mind and learn't  not to do it again, you could also consider getting a make of chain that when split can also be rejoined, so you can lenghten as well as shorten.Simon [smiley=nod.gif]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2003, 03:28:02 am by Simon »

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2003, 06:55:25 am »
Thanks for the reponses guys

everything seems to be riding fine, except for slight grinding on the front derailleur when the middle chainring and lower sprocket is running.

i'll fix that later today

03 Razorback