Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 10:20:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 39
Total: 39
39 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How to tune a noleen NR4  (Read 3003 times)

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
How to tune a noleen NR4
« on: August 13, 2003, 07:55:39 am »
Hello,

Some weeks ago I did the jiffy lube. That was the first time I removed my NR4 from my bike. While cleaning and playing with it, I know I adjusted the damping by turning that thing at the bottomside of the NR4 (don't know the name in English). Why I did it? Because I'm a fool and most of the time don't know what I'm doing. I turned it 'til it couldn't be turned anymore and at that moment realised I did something stupid. I turned it back again (ofcourse didn't count the turns) and reassembled the lot. And now I don't like the way my bike reacts anymore (duh...).

I looked and found the manual, but didn't find some more information than that the damping can be adjusted and which way to turn to increase damping. So what to do: I don't think it is the right way to dissassemble the thing, turn it around some times, assamble again and try out until I like it. I hope that someone can tell me a smarter way.

And another question about my NR4: I can't find the spring rate written on it (anymore I think). The spring rate of my frontsuspension is readable: at my rearsuspension it isn't. It's a yellow spring (as is the front one) but it is significantly thicker than the front one. Any Idea?

(don't start to think all the Dutch are as stupid as I am!)

Thnx, Jeroen.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: How to tune a noleen NR4
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 08:28:09 am »
You've found the rebound adjuster, turning it clockwise (looking at it from the bottom) increases the rebound damping(siows it up) wind it all the way till it stop then all the other way till it stops counting the clicks as you go, then set it in the middle, go riding (the best bit)if you feel you're being knocked out the saddle increase the rebound a click at a time untill you're happy, if on the other hand you feel the suspension is packing down(not returning in time for the next bump)decrease the damping a click at a time again untill you're happy you'll soon get the hang of it, mine is a 500lbs spring.Simon [smiley=nod.gif]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 08:29:50 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 09:38:44 am »
I like to adjust my rebound damping by dropping off a curb (about 6" high) while seated. If I bounce more than once, I increase the damping. If the shock extends slowly enough that I can sense the resistance, I back of the damping. Works pretty well for trail situations. (Unfortunately, I think it was the death of my Smart shock. Totally coincidental, I'm sure, but the first time I rode it on a rough trail after adjusting the rebound damping, I blew the seals!)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 01:59:15 pm »
i do something similar to matnos technique -

i set the shock on full full damping and go around in circles dropping off a 6-8" curb a few times - too much damping?  back off a click then do it all again till i find that i'm springing up but just slightly damped.  if i get too bouncy, i go the other way a click or two.

crank the clicks back down and count the clicks to full damping.  click it back out to where it was (the same number of clicks and take it for a ride.

to much rebound damping and the back end feels dead and not enough and it bounces around.  do the curb thing will give you a good starting place to +/- 3 clicks or so one way or another for xc riding.

go ride one of your favorite trails and see how it feels.  make some notes so next time you can make a click adjustment one way or the other on the damping.  keep doing it till it's the way you want it.

most nr's have less rebound damping compared to the newest shocks but it still substantial.  the k2 guys long time ago suggested this routine to me.

use it on all my shocks, front and rear.

OP
« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 02:03:47 pm by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 05:01:29 pm »
as far as spring weight....the method to set up the spring is a couple of winds after the spring and the collar meet (mount the shock) and then get on the bike and have someone measure how much the shock compresses with your weight on the bike.  it should be about 1/2 inch.  you can slide the red stopper up the shaft and measure the movement that way, but inevitably, when you dismount, you will compress the shock too much, so have a buddy help you.

if you can have 2 to 5 full turns of the spring collar on the spring and get 1/2 of sag when you are on the bike, it's good to go for XC riding.

I like a little lighter spring i run a 600# and I weigh about 200# with gear.  650# will give you a firmer ride

hope that helps (sorry if you need to convert to kilos and mm's  [smiley=laughing.gif]

if you tell us your weight and where you are as far as proper sag, we can probably guestimate what you need.

[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Prowler

• Apprentice
    • Jays FR MTB site
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 10:16:41 am »
How to tune a noleen NR4?

the best way would be to throw it in the trashcan  [smiley=evil.gif]

sorry, couldn't resist.
Iron Horse SGS Expert DH/FR
Cheeta Prowler DH(RIP-broke it)
K2 EVO FR/Trail

StoereVent

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2003, 04:02:52 am »
Guys,

DID I just turn the rebound-damping? According to http://cynosure.homedns.org/proflex/resources/97noleen_addendum.pdf I turned the knob where the bolt goes through and thus changed 'damping'. Or is this knob tuning rebound-damping, just like the thing called 'rebound-damping-adjuster'. Or doesn't turning the knob influence the damping at all? I think this is the right moment to add some  ??? ??? ???'s.

Maybe I should follow Prowlers suggestion and just throw my NR4 away?

Jeroen.

StoereVent

• Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 04:04:16 am »
And Carbon_Angus: I think I have the same weight as you with gear etc. So what sag and what kind of spring?

Jeroen.

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 05:00:02 am »
I recall a MBA mag. test where they said 12  clicks from max dampening (slowest rebound or shaft return) was best for their conditions.  You have compression adjustment too, so there's lots of combos to be had!  And confusion, but that's what this forum is for- creating and then clearing it up.
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2003, 09:57:47 pm »
the ring at the bottom is rebound damping and the knob by the resevoir is compression damping.What kind of bike do you have and what size,the colur of the spring can vary.The bikes came fitted with different weight spring depending on the size.....as for adjustment well the other guys have covered it all...of course if you are riding different terrain you might have adjust it again a few clicks
kiwi proflex rider

StoereVent

• Journeyman
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2003, 10:51:01 pm »
Ok, I understand that turning the part I indicated with red, while not turning the green knob, doesn't affect damping?
In that case rebound-damping can only be tuned by the green ring...I suppose my shock is kind of dead than, because tuning with this ring, doesn't afect the damping enough.

Jeroen.