Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 09:24:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 59
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29
29 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Fox Float Talas R Rear Shock  (Read 2507 times)

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Fox Float Talas R Rear Shock
« on: August 09, 2003, 05:18:37 am »
now mounted, ridden, tinkered with, adusted, and i just can't wait to take it apart.  

The September 2003 issue of Mountain Bike Action has detailed info on the shock, how it works and it's internals.  They state in the article that one can go to their website and get a demo of how the shock works - but I couldn't find it.

OP
« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 03:54:36 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
Re: Fox Float Talas R Rear Shock
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 06:39:37 am »
OP,
looks good, thanks for the pic.
looks like you had to modify the bracket a bit, but nothing too destructive.
how easy/hard is it to get to the air valve with it mounted like that? looks like it might be a small pain.

the big question: how does the bike ride as compared with the other rear shocks you have used?
how does bike feel in the different travel modes?

thanks for any and all info you have time to share.
[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

jimbo

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 10:10:33 am »
Hey OP,

Is it possible to mount the shock with the air valve on the outside?  If done that way, will it minimize bracket modification?  I know the rebound knob won't be accessible if done that way.  I usually leave my rebound alone once I set it.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 01:04:29 pm »
its all a scam guys so that OP has an excuse to use the DREMELOP you may be able to mount the valve remotely.I enquired at my local "air" place and the guy was quite interested but inferred that 200 psi makes it more difficult.I envisage fitting in the shock where the valve is with a line running ti a valve and or gauge .I thought a little monting plate up at the shock head or maybe even the handlebar/front fork area.This may only apply to my risse terminator,or my pump i seem to have trouble getting consistent pressures.Its either too hard or to soft
kiwi proflex rider

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 03:36:56 am »
yes - one can simply flip the shock over and there is no need for mods for the valve.  since i had a notch there for the 5th element spring collar, i just took a round file, smoothing things over with yes, my "DREMEL!!!" and readjusted the hole a bit - just takes some elbow grease, patience and time.  

i originally had the shock head with the air valve on the left side (no mods) but hey, you guys know me, i gotta tinker with the rebound knob so i turned the head over and notched the bracket.  i moved the main body over to the right (with no air pressure at the time) so i can reach it with my right hand while still on the move.

i do notice an ever so slight bobbing now but none that is even remotly bothersome - i got on it hard on the street in the big gears and it was moving around a bit - but that's prolly 'cause i only had 160 lbs of pressure in it and who rides on the street anyway with a full suspension bike.

i'm trying to adjust the front and rear shocks to evenly balance - i'm partial to adjusting the rear to the action of the front.

the black tape is max travel, even at full compression, the main body doesn't come close to the mounting plates - i notice that ProflexGB is running a big fat SID in the back of one of his - - - - hmmmm! a SID

i'm gonna replace the picture with a more recent one - i took the labeling off and made it more socially correct as the labelsand the shock were upside down.

as for first impressions, not as buttery smooth as the 5th and feels like a bit less travel on the trail - but for a light xc shock - i'm gonna run it for the rest of the summer.  i think the 5th is a bit of overkill for my type of riding - i don't normally do more than a 2' drop max.

great fun with all the adjustments, psylo sl in the front and this in the rear - set the psylo at 5" and drop the rear to 7.75" and i feel like i'm riding a harley chopper.  great for that 8 mile ride back down my local mountain from way up at old camp or saddleback peak.

just a little summer fun - hopefully avid mechs should be my next project.

OP
« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 04:00:13 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -