Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 02:23:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46
46 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: XT to XTR brake setup?  (Read 2992 times)

bayarearider

• Journeyman
XT to XTR brake setup?
« on: July 23, 2003, 06:07:57 pm »
I was just wondering if it is worth it to upgrade from a XT V brake setup to a XTR V brake setup.

I know someone who is selling the front and Rear XTR brake setup (includes XTR levers) for $40.  However, it has one broken tension adjustment collar anyone know how it will cost to replace?

so what do you guys think?  Is it worth the upgrade?

thanks for the help
03 Razorback
Santa Cruz Tazmon Frame Forsale
Proflex 3000 and Crosslink Fork Forsale
Spinergy Rev Carbon Wheelset Forsale

Andy

• Novice
    • My K2
I think it's worth it
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 11:53:21 pm »
The XT V brakes are a far cry in quality compared to the other XT components. I had a set on my '98 proflex 2000 and was shocked at how much play they had after a year of use! This play caused ear shattering squealing unless the brake pads were toe'd (sic) in, which, of course, decreased braking power.

My friend gave me his Avids (which were one of the lower end models), and I immeadiatly felt a big improvement. He replaced his avids with a set of XTR on his Kona and was very pleased with that upgrade.

He's about to switch over to discs, and will probably be selling his XTR's if you still need a set.

bayarearider

• Journeyman
Re: XT to XTR brake setup?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 03:47:19 am »
Good to hear that you had good results.  Any idea how much the tension adjustment collar would cost? and where i would be able to find a replacement?

can i use the one off of my XT v brake?

thanks for the reply

he is also selling a set of sram 9.0 levers for 10 bucks.

what do you guys think i should do?

03 Razorback

jimbo

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 05:29:00 am »
what do you guys think i should do?

Depending on what type of rides you do, Avid Mechanical discs might be a better investment for some extra bucks.  My friend switched from XTR to Avids Disc and he can't believe how much better control the discs have.  If you ride XC type trails, then XTR are great.  If you ride technical terrain with a lot of steep technical stuff, then Avid discs are better.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 10:40:48 am »
When you say "tension adjustment collar" do you mean the adjuster barrel at the lever? If so, I'm pretty sure it would be easy to replace. (Unless the threads of the brake housing are stripped). You could try calling Loose Screws (http://www.thethirdhand.com) or just call around. Knowing Shimano, it may not be a piece that is available separately. (But probably is if you get it through a Shimano dealer LBS).

As for the difference between XT and XTR, it's definitely worth $40. I'm not sure if the barrel adjusters are interchangeable. If they are, you're set. The "sealed" bearings of the XTR V-brakes are way better than whatever it is they put in the XT's. On the other hand, the first XT V-brakes (mostly sold in 1998 ) were much worse than the subsequent beefier models. I had a set of the originals until I switched to Avid mechanical discs last Christmas, and they worked fine - but only after I shimmed them tightly with a little shim kit from Shimano. Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 10:41:07 am by matno »
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 11:24:14 am »
if it's $40 like you say...walk, no RUN and do it.

i adore Avid's though...

XT V's IMHO.....SUCK

if it's the collar that fits on your brake lever, your LBS may have one in a bin somewhere, just a thought....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 11:24:51 am by carbon_angus »

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 06:29:21 pm »
Here are the exact words the guy e-mailed me:

it is the collar the part on the v-brake (not Lever) That houses the tension spring that is adjusted by a small screw.

you guys know what he is talking about?

if that part is replaceable, or is interchangable wtih my current 98 XT vbrake setup then i will definitly jump on it.

also another brake question ..if you guys can help........i read somewhere a couple months ago regarding my proflex (3000 1998 world cup frame) not being disc upgradable?  

can someone explain to me why it isn't?  when running disc brakes are you supposed to have wider forks, and swingarm?

or did they just mean that i will need to get disc hubs?

again thanks for the help and replies
03 Razorback

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2003, 04:37:41 am »
Uh oh. I don't think that part of the brake caliper itself is replaceable (but don't take my word for it). Ask your local bike shop. I'm almost positive though that it is NOT compatible with the XT brake calipers because they are signficantly different. The XTR has Sealed Bearing Pivots and the XT has bushings.

Here are some pics in case you want to compare the part you need. I couldn't find an exploded view of the XTR, but I assume it's similar. If the part you need is one of the ones that is numbered, then chances are you can order it for both XT and XTR. However, if it's not a numbered part (i.e. part of the main caliper assembly) forget it.
http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/BR/ev_images/BR_M750_EV.pdf
http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/BR/si_images/BR_M951_SI.pdf

As for your frame not being disc upgradeable, the main reason you wouldn't be able to do it is because your frame (and probably fork as well) do not have disc mounts. (i.e. the frame and fork have to have specific holes for discs to attach to). Many people on this forum have been successful at making their own rear disc adaptors (myself included - see my gallery). I believe RDI also sells a HammerHead adaptor that is premade to fit your frame. (See the Links on this site). Front disc adaptors for X-Link forks have also been made, but are probably not as easy, and potentially more dangerous (although I have yet to year of a failure). The total cost of upgrading to discs is significant when you consider how cheaply you can buy a disc equipped complete bike these days. I see newer EVO frames with discs (like Disco Monkeys) going for $500-700 all the time on eBay. To upgrade your current bike, figure in the cost of 1) disc brakes, 2) disc wheels (or hubs and spokes if you want to rebuild), 3) adaptors (the Hammerhead costs about $70 US, making your own costs a lot of time). Depending on your fork, you may need to replace that too.

All in all, the upgrade to discs is a questionable endeavor on a primarily X-country frame like the 3000. If you ride in the mud a lot, it might be worth it. If you ride mostly dry stuff, IMO it's not worth the effort. Especially not if you can make those XTR brakes work...

« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 04:39:36 am by matno »
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2003, 04:54:35 am »
Thanks for the help Matno,

i contacted the guy hoping to pick up the brakes last night, and damnit ...he sold them.

oh well.....and you are completly right about the disc brakes.. i definitly do not want to shell out several hundred dollars to make this bike work with disc brakes.  I think i'll just look for new v brakes, and just ride it until i feel that this isn't cutting it.  

I think i am just in one of those newb phases who want  is itching to buy new parts for my bike.  If there is such a thing.

i better check my self before i go broke.

thanks all
03 Razorback

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 08:58:28 am »
damn right about checking yourself with the buying of new stuff! I quite happily rode a stock stumpjumper HT for 4 years and then bought the Evo. the Evo works fine as it is but i am dying to upgrade and my bike is constantly evolving as a result.right now i am itching to get a rear disc brake and wheel, new seat, handlebars, seat collar and a hopey, seems like i am addicted to new stuff! [smiley=disbelief.gif]

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 01:54:20 pm »
Dang you! Why did you have to mention the Hopey?!  [smiley=furious.gif]

I had almost forgotten how badly I want one of those!