Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 10:19:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 45
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: EVO / Disco Monkey Main Pivot Bearings  (Read 3026 times)

Bark Rash

• Novice
EVO / Disco Monkey Main Pivot Bearings
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:39:25 am »
I know this makes me sould like an oldster, but I was a big fan of one of K2's frame designs, and have a hand full of them up and riding. I understand K2 went out of business and sold their remaining inventory to Iron Horse.

I'm looking for the frame main pivot bearing rebuild kits for 2 - K2 EVO's, and 1 - K2 Disco Monkey. Actually I believe they used the very same roller bearings?

I've tried to email Iron Horse Tech Support to see if they have any remaining rebuild kits in back stock, but their site's rejecting submissions... I haven't been able to get through to them despite multiple attempts the last few weeks. I even thought if Iron Horse had copies of the original build sheets / mechanical specifications for this series of frames, the build sheets / mechanical specifications should list the OEM Spec's for the main pivot bearings? The bearing Spec's might allow me to go to a retailer that specializes in mechanical bearings to find match.

I seem to be striking out on all points, any leads you could offer me to investigate a source for rebuild kits / bearings?

Beyond that, I've never tried to pull the rear swingarm, and don't know if the bearings are pressed in, or will require a special tool for replacement? Nor do I know if the pivot was protected by a rubber seal to protect the bearing from crud? Any additional feedback would be appreciated
Build it like you like it, ride it like there's no tomorrow and so you still can if there is!

fyrstormer

• Guru
Re: EVO / Disco Monkey Main Pivot Bearings
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:50:51 am »
A couple companies sell Pro-Flex bushing rebuild kits on eBay. Maybe you can find something there. I don't know if the early K2 frames are similarly designed, but one great thing about the Pro-Flex nylon bushings is they never wear out. I'm still on my original bushings and my 756 has been in use for 14 years.

It's a shame about what happened to K2 Bikes, but it's not surprising. K2 bought one of the most innovative bicycle companies on the planet and turned them into an also-ran brand that was never seen again. The only interesting thing K2 did was the pull-shock design for the Razorback, but it was too proprietary and not innovative in the right ways -- it didn't improve handling at all. I guess someone at K2 thought designing bikes would be just like designing skis, since they're both used on hills. Stupid.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:53:38 am by fyrstormer »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: EVO / Disco Monkey Main Pivot Bearings
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 12:23:48 pm »
Here is a bearing replacement proceedure with part #s thanks to SquirtsB.

http://idriders.com/proflex/smf/index.php?topic=2895.0
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS