Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 04:25:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 45
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22
22 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Garmin Edge 800  (Read 2998 times)

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Garmin Edge 800
« on: July 07, 2011, 06:45:21 am »
Recently picked up a Garmin Edge 800 off Ebay - saved $150 plus tax, so probably about $200 from retail.  Got the bundled unit - heart rate monitor, cadence etc. - wanted to keep track of my workouts on the Garmin Dashboard, primarily heart rate and calories burned.  

What a typical workout looks like -    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/96779023   You can change the map to an ariel view or see it on Google Maps -

I use my unit mostly for mountain biking and running - some running on road and quite a bit off.  I was disappointed in the off road capabilities of the North American maps chip that is supplied so I came across this site, http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ when searching for an off road answer.  What I was seeking was some good topo maps I could download without spending a whole lot more money than I already have.

I read up on the Basecamp and Mapsource programs and downloaded them to my computer from the links provided based over at the Garmin site.  After seeing that putting new maps in the Edge 800 with the existing card might ruin the data on the card - I went down to a local Best Buy and purchased a 4 Gb micro card for $14.00 USD.  

As I live in California, I first downloaded the 'California Topo' map but could not find it when I opened Mapsource.  I went to the tool menu and activated all the tool bars but I couldn't find a dropdown menu as in the illustrations.  So, again went to the tool menu and switched applications from 'no map' to the California Topo - then it popped up on my computer screen and I could play with it a bit - but still no drop down menu on the upper left of the screen.  

After reviewing this topo map, I noted it didn't have much in my area on the streets but zooming in, it had pretty good topo lines - the parks etc. weren't what what I was hoping for.

So, the Californa Topo 2011 shows up on the site a few days later, I downloaded it and it installed easily as the other.  Mapquest recognized it - this time Mapquest supplied the dropdown box with both maps in it.  After reviewing at the 2011 map - it was just what I was looking for.  All the current streets, lots of trails, parks, golf courses, forests, excellent topo lines etc. clearly highlighted and colored.  Excellent.

One thing, if you're working late on this project, set the Edge 800 unit in the map section to day mode and not automatic - othewise, your maps on the units diplay will appear dark if it's after sunset as the unit thinks it's night time.  It's menu, wrench, system, display, color mode, day option.  That will keep it on day mode even during night time.

I highlighted and saved to a file most of Southern California and it only took up a small portion of the 4 Gb micro card.  Uploaded the map to the unit and it works like a charm.  Using this map, I've lost the navigation feature such as navigate to home but I don't use it anyway since I bike local in on the trails and mountains.  It's nice have most all the streets and all the topography off road.  Probably not the detail of some of the expensive maps the stores sell but still quite good.

Hopefully this will help any that are buying this unit or something similar -

OP
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:54:43 am by Old Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Garmin Edge 800
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 07:55:17 am »
I really like that. May help jump start me on my fitness again.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jimbob

• Apprentice
  • Proflex Professional
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 03:03:09 pm »
That looks like it has everything you'd ever need. I have a Garmin Forerunner 305, and whilst it doesn't have the GPS navigation function it's proved very useful for running/ biking, allowing route reviews via Google Earth etc..

How do you find the handlebar mount for your 800? that's the only thing that might prevent me upgrading... I don't fancy losing it from the bars on a 30mph descent!
1988 Stumpjumper Team
1992 Kirk Revolution
1993 Orange Prestige
1997 Proflex 857

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 05:38:01 am »
I mount mine on my stem - never had any problems.  

The O-Rings that hold on the mount are pretty beefy and Garmin supplies quite a few - two mounts come with the unit in the event you want to use the 800 on two different bikes.

Every now and then I find I need to buy a little something that I can use whilst working out - it helps keep me motivated to use whatever to justify the expense and use the new tool (audio, information, a little different this or that)

Really thought about the 305 as my neighbor across the street has one and likes it - he uses it for training for marathons.

Garmin is on the right track to supply these previosly unknown needs for vast amounts of personal, real time information to the training/sporting community -
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:54:02 am by Old Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

jimbob

• Apprentice
  • Proflex Professional
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 03:51:05 pm »
I mount mine on my stem - never had any problems.  

The O-Rings that hold on the mount are pretty beefy and Garmin supplies quite a few - two mounts come with the unit in the event you want to use the 800 on two different bikes.

now that is very handy. 

Hmmm...  I may be dropping a few hints regarding posible birthday presents in the coming weeks  ;D
1988 Stumpjumper Team
1992 Kirk Revolution
1993 Orange Prestige
1997 Proflex 857

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 04:39:08 am »
I use a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, a lot simpler device than the 800 as I understand it.

The route tracking and navigation directions are very good, dependant upon the accuracy of the route mapping and there lies the rub, the "OS" maps on my Garmin and PC (Topo GB V2)  are very basic compared to "real" OS maps and do not show footpaths and bridleways accurately and often not at all, sometimes they head off into a field and then stop!

So creating a route from the mapping software is very hard work to make at all accurate.

I'm considering a Memory Map 3500, anyone got any experience of these? or even the 2800, although I do understand that had some issues that hopefully the 3500 has addressed?

Col.
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame