Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 07:31:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 31
Total: 31
31 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Two cable guides under BB, one cable?  (Read 2606 times)

TDIfurby

• Novice
Two cable guides under BB, one cable?
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:41:02 pm »
I am rebuilding up my 957 and have so far routed the wiring for the front brakes (no cable to the rear obviously), the rear brakes using one of the side on cable guides, and the rear mech which goes down the side and out through the swingarm, etc.

Now for the front mech I can see the cable has to go down the lower cable routing section, under the BB and back up the other side of the "seat tube" and to the front mech....  There is a plastic bit bolted to the bottom of the BB with two cable guides within it and I am not sure which one I am supposed to use?  Why are there two?  For user-choice? :)

I also need a mech as tried to offer up an LX one and is clearly not right.   Anyone got a mech (preferably XT) that would fit my 957?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:43:39 pm by TDIfurby »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Two cable guides under BB, one cable?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 04:23:41 pm »
I am rebuilding up my 957 and have so far routed the wiring for the front brakes (no cable to the rear obviously), the rear brakes using one of the side on cable guides, and the rear mech which goes down the side and out through the swingarm, etc.

Now for the front mech I can see the cable has to go down the lower cable routing section, under the BB and back up the other side of the "seat tube" and to the front mech....  There is a plastic bit bolted to the bottom of the BB with two cable guides within it and I am not sure which one I am supposed to use?  Why are there two?  For user-choice? :)

I also need a mech as tried to offer up an LX one and is clearly not right.   Anyone got a mech (preferably XT) that would fit my 957?

You could probably use either, but I use the groove closest to the nondrive side of the BB.
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:31:16 pm »
You need a bottom pull/top swing derailleur like the one shown here.
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

TDIfurby

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 11:41:05 am »
Thanks - got a replacement mech sorted out now.  Just need it to arrive. 

Also thanks for reassurance there's not meant to be two cables going under the BB - did seem an odd thing to have 2 guides, 1 cable.

Lysander

• Journeyman
  • Yeah! Just shov'm in the microwave for 30 secs....
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:40:14 am »
It's a standard bb cable guide, usually meant for both gear cables, but the high swing arm means the rear mech cable isn't routed through it........when ye fit the new mech, it may be policy to do it without the chain at first, and with the rear shock removed- it'll let ye lift the swingarm up enough to roughly set the h/l limit screws on the mech- that way, with the drivetrain fully set up, ye'll only need a small turn of the screws to get it zeroed. IIRC, I used an exacto knife blade, the top blunt side, as a horizontal blade to get under the swingarm from the side.

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:55:45 am »
It's not the high swingarm that does it, it's the presence of any rear suspension at all. You can't have a loose cable wrapping around a potential pivot point like the BB shell if the position of the rear derailleur is going to be changing due to suspension movement. The cable guide is designed to work on FS and hardtail bikes, but because the rear derailleur doesn't have a fixed location relative to the cable guide like the front derailleur does, the shift cable has to run inside its housing for the full length. (yes, the inside of the swingarm does count as a housing of sorts.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:01:47 am by fyrstormer »

TDIfurby

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 12:57:24 pm »
Well, all sorted and one of the guides was definitely more suitable for the job - i ended up using the one with a slight bend in it, and it was also slightly longer than the one alongside it. :)

Bike is nearly ready for its first proper run.

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:04:26 am »
It's interesting that your 857 has the dual-cable guide attached to the BB shell; my 756 has one like you described, but the 857 frames I have only have single-cable guides. Must've been a situation where they used the dual-cable guides until they ran out, then switched to the single-cable guides.