Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 09:41:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 17
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34
34 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: What is this stuff made of? (Crosslink mod)  (Read 2965 times)

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
What is this stuff made of? (Crosslink mod)
« on: April 19, 2008, 06:57:01 pm »
What is the ULM and pivot axels made of, and what is the coating on them?

Ok, so my Mech eng. buddy from school came over today to check out the slop that had developed in my adapter for my Fox Float RL that sits in my Crosslink fork.  I also talked about simplifying the design.  I am thinking that it is much more reliable and easier to make a new ULM, but with the upper shock pivot moved to the proper location for the Fox Shocks.  In my current design you have to mil the ULM any way to make room for the air valve and a countersink for a bolt.  Plus do a bunch of fiddely things with washers and such, and lining up threads.  There also seems to be reliability issues in that slop seems to develop faster in my current design then I would like.  I was told the biggest issue is that I used alluminium and not steel.  But trust me, and new ULM would be much easier maintainance wise, although I am told it would cost more.  But a kit for the fork would go from: 5 bolts, 3 nylon spacers, 2 brass bushing/spacers, 2 triangelish shaped parts, and a modded ULM; to a new ULM, 1 brass bushing/spacer, and one nylon spacer.  Either way, I could use one of these Gonzo valves.  http://www.pushindustries.com/products.php?prod_page=Components&title=Components

That's all I have for now, thanks.
Rich
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: What is this stuff made of? (Crosslink mod)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:16:09 pm »
That would be aluminum. The upper mounts are anodized, the pivots are alum with some hoyty coating.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:35:08 pm »
the pivots are alum with some hoyty coating.

Terry

"hoyty"?  Is that a technical term?  Is there any way to replicate it on a small scale?  I can't find an old crosslink to rob parts from, I don't think anyone has these things in stock any more (I know Iron Horse doesn't).  I own a forum member here one because mine fell off.  I could have one made up, but one silver one would look pretty stupid.  And does anyone know what type of alluminium?
Thanks,
Rich
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 03:33:22 am »
i am pretty sure the axles are steel....yu could powder coat the ULM or even paint it....
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 10:05:33 am »
i am pretty sure the axles are steel....yu could powder coat the ULM or even paint it....
My vector axles are steel tube, but the my crosslink axles are alum. The best alum would be 7075 alloy, if you can find it in your area. If you have a blank size, I can look for you.

Hoyty-toyty = fancy-shmancy (pardon my linguistics :P)
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 11:17:23 am »
Thanks for the help.  I just wish I knew what that coating on the axels were.

Here's a new subject on the crosslinks.  Is there any real advantage of replacing the plastic bearings in the fork pivots iwth needle bearings?  Would it be as big a difference as the sealed bearing make in the swingarm?
Opinons, ideas, rants?

Thanks,
Rich

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 05:52:20 pm »
Thanks for the help.  I just wish I knew what that coating on the axels were.

Here's a new subject on the crosslinks.  Is there any real advantage of replacing the plastic bearings in the fork pivots iwth needle bearings?  Would it be as big a difference as the sealed bearing make in the swingarm?
Opinons, ideas, rants?

Thanks,
Rich
I never had a problem with stiction with my vectors or crosslinks. The plastic seemed to be fine. With the shock out, it moved very freely.

The coating is some kind of hard anodize on aluminum.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 03:02:01 am »
only the early vecrors suffered from stiction with the black seals,the "extreme seals fixed that,before i found out about the extreme seals i would pull the vector aprt and grease it up every month!
kiwi proflex rider

todd54tacy

• Novice
  • All is well
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 09:29:45 pm »
is the  polycarbonate   coating is scratch  proof ?