Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 11:16:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 43
Total: 43
43 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Girvin Vector 2 Forks - Headset Size Help and Missing Top Headset Shim  (Read 5669 times)

oldskoolrider

• Novice
Hi All

I am new to the forum. Please can anyone help, i have a pair of Girvin Vector 2 forks, well i think
they are the vector 2 model, mine have a Gold ODS coil over shock with the fixed stem that mounts
to the top of the shock mounting. I am about to fit them soon to a new frame.

Please could you tell me if i am right in saying that they fit a frame for an 1inch 1.1/8th headset.

The bottom of the fork crown seems to have 1inch 1.1/8th fitting with a 1inch steerer tube, i think there should be a shim that is missing, possibly shaped liked a top hat that shims where the steerer tube meets
the top race of the headset. Does anyone know wher i could purchase a shim from, i have looked at
and tried several seat post shims but non of them work.

Please anyone tell me if i could obtain a shim?

Many thanks.

Gary.

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

oldskoolrider

• Novice
Hi Orange

Many thanks for your reply. I have tried using the headset shims you mention; maybe not the same make
but the same size, the only problem is i find that i have had to purchase several to stack one on top
of another to put over the lengh of the steerer tube so the upper most shim (top headset race) does not
fall through, also they have not been a great fit as their was some play in the fit.

As i may have mentioned my Girvin fork is the one with the fixed stem that you cannot change
as the top of the suspension attaches to this. I was just thinking i cannot remember if the stem attaches directly to
the stearer tube without a shim or not. If it does have a shim i could then just use one headset shim and allow part of the shim go into the headset inner hole, then when the stem is clamped up and pushed down this would hold the shim in place, but i have got a feeling that the stem clamps directly to the 1inch steerer tube, i will have to check.

Cheers.

Gary.

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
I think you're right about clamping straight onto 1" steerer. You may have to improvise!!
'95 855

oldskoolrider

• Novice
Hi Orange

Yes i think you are right; but i contacted a cycle shop in Ambleside who i had read on this forum that still had
a box of proflex spares, and a very kind guy at the shop had a search for the requred shims but could
only find the stem shim. He asid he would send it to me free of charge to see if it will help, this is very generous
of him and the shop.

If i cannot bodge a shim i think BETD said they would make one for me.

many thanks for your help.

Gary.

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
Biketrek - yes they're good and helpful people. Forgot I put that post up - well found!! Must be over 3 years ago now.
'95 855

oldskoolrider

• Novice
Hi Orange

Just to let you know that Biketrek sent the part and it arrived yesterday. It turns out
to be just the part i have been searching for, i had been trying to locate/get hold of this shim for a long time,
and i am really pleased that at long last i can fit the Girvin Vectors with the correct part.

I am very greatful for all the time and effort that Biketreks have gone to provide me with the
correct part. I will contact them to thank them, and i will certainly look to purchase
parts and accessories from Biketreks in the near future, their prices seem very good also.

If anybody from Biketreks is reading this post i am very greatful for your help and a big Hoorah! for
sending me the part i have been looking for what seems like ages.

Cheers.

Gary.

Thunderchild

• Master
Can you post a picture of the part for reference.
Thanks
Thunderchild
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

oldskoolrider

• Novice
Hi Thunderchild

I will take a photo of the part this weekend and upload it to this forum.

Cheers.

Gary.

sid

• Apprentice
Re: Girvin Vector 2 Forks - Headset Size Help and Missing Top Headset Shim
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 12:51:36 pm »
Hi

I had the same problem on my 954 see gallery(page 6) may be able to zoom in . I didnt want any shim bodging either as i did like to use it still. Anyway the best way i got over it was by buying 2 headsets a 1" and  1 1/8 th and fitted a headset reducer in the top of the frame only . This sorted it out perfect without the spacer and acually imo worked better than the standard shim + had spare bearings for both headsets .Maybe this will be of some help.

Cheers

Woops just read whole thread and see sorted anyway well done , well may be of use to other proflex users in the future who are not lucky enough to get the parts :-[
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:04:37 pm by sid »

oldskoolrider

• Novice
Re: Girvin Vector 2 Forks - Headset Size Help and Missing Top Headset Shim
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 01:47:10 am »
Hi Thunderchild and Sid

Thunderchild sorry i have not posted the picture of the "Shim", i will be building up the vector forks onto the new frame this week,
i will take a picture of the "Shim" pre-installation and after installation, hopefully all will work well.

I must admit that the set up for this fork is quite strange having having two different sizes for the the crown race end of the stearer
and the upper race.

I aquired the "Vector 2" forks quite some time ago from a freind who had them on his Proflex. They seem to be in very good
condition; i have stripped them down and re-graesed all of the moving parts. The forks have the "ODS Coil - Oil" shock fitted, the spring coil is yellow coloured, i am not sure what kind
of suspension performance i will get with the forks. The bike will only be used for XC - Trail and Commuter use.

Hi Sid

Thanks for your reply, i must admit that at one point i did consider buying two headsets and i did buy a headset
reducer some time ago with that in mind but did not want the expense, but this may have solved the
long term problem i had of finding a shim for the top race.

I will let you all know i how i got on next week and will post some photos.

Cheers and Thanks.

Gary.