Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 12:14:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59
59 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 25 and a bit Lbs 4500  (Read 2793 times)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
25 and a bit Lbs 4500
« on: July 16, 2003, 07:16:32 am »
After upgradeing over the years thought I'd take the opportunity to weigh my bike (K2 4500, large) at work with some calibrated scales, quite pleased came out at just over 25Lbs, not bad with hydraulic disc's, left the pedals on, I'd noticed a lot of bike manufactures and magazine bike test give there claimed weight without pedals fitted. I know weight isn't everything and I've always tried to upgrade without compromising reliability and I appear to of suceeded,curiosty just got the better of me.Pic's of it being weighed in my gallery.Simon. :P [smiley=laughing.gif]  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 08:19:45 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
  • I like to feed the trail bunnies
    • twede's k2 site
Re: 25 and a bit Lbs 4500
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 08:50:32 am »
hey simon, can you give a parts list?  25lbs is very good, esp with discs.
No, not that kind of bunny.  The small, furry, long-eared, pudgy nose kind.

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 02:21:24 pm »
Good weight indeed for a f.s. with discs and pedals on!
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
nice job, beautiful bike
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 12:56:47 am »
were those disc brakes easy to install? did you have to make any mods?

are they hydraulic?

where did you get those disc brakes? how much were they?
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 05:28:17 am »
hey simon, can you give a parts list?  25lbs is very good, esp with discs.

As requested, Hope XC Disc hubs Ti freehub,Hope Ti skewers,Black DT Revolution spokes,Alu nips,Mavic X317 Rims,XT Cassette,XTR R/Mech,Middleburn CNC Cranks & Rings,Raceface B/Bracket,S/Steel Eggbeater Pedals,Formula B4 Hydraulic Disc Brakes,Hammerhead rear disc adapter,Goodridge Brake hoses,Stendec fully synthetic brake fluid,Rockshox Sid SL Forks,Custom built Risse Terminator shock,WTB greaseport headset,Hope seat post clamp,Easton EA50 110mm stem,Easton Monkeylite SL carbon bars,Easton CT2 carbon seat post,WTB Laser saddle Ti rails,Front & Rear brake pivot posts removed with X-Lite bungs fitted,Air B Tubes,IRC Mythos SXC Kevlar bead 1.95 Tyres. Thats about it so far.          Chainsaw sent you a message with the information you required.   Simon.  [smiley=laughing.gif]                          
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
    • twede's k2 site
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 07:50:14 am »
Ah.  Nice setup.  Great wheels.  Is the bar a straight or gay bar--I mean a riser bar?  I went out and got a carbon riser for mine, but I'm still not sure it is any better.

A SID SL.  That'll give back what the disc brakes taketh.

I always felt the SIDs were a little too flexy.  They're certainly light and have pretty good action.  I bought a manitou skareb super which weighs only about 1/5 pound more than the sid and feels stiffer.  I've yet to put it on the k2, though, so I don't know how it'd ride with it.  I too have the terminator, but no disc brakes yet.  I just haven't sold myself on the extra cost and weight.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 08:18:09 am »
Ah.  Nice setup.  Great wheels.  Is the bar a straight or gay bar--I mean a riser bar?  I went out and got a carbon riser for mine, but I'm still not sure it is any better.

A SID SL.  That'll give back what the disc brakes taketh.

I always felt the SIDs were a little too flexy.  They're certainly light and have pretty good action.  I bought a manitou skareb super which weighs only about 1/5 pound more than the sid and feels stiffer.  I've yet to put it on the k2, though, so I don't know how it'd ride with it.  I too have the terminator, but no disc brakes yet.  I just haven't sold myself on the extra cost and weight.

The Monkeylites are a riser(SL 125g),The Sids are much better than I expected, use to run Pyslos,may go to a Fox Fork next, it would still leave my bike at around 26.5Lbs,I'm in the process of aquiring some Ti bolts for some lower stress areas should save a few grams,I dont now if you realise it but Formula B4 Disc brakes are not much heavier than XTR V's if you go for the B4 SL version its 297g front 290g rear all in, don't let weight stop you the performance and consistency is worth it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 08:41:28 am by Simon »

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
    • twede's k2 site
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 10:19:17 am »

...Formula B4 Disc brakes are not much heavier than XTR V's if you go for the B4 SL version its 297g front 290g rear all in...

That's just the brakes, no weight on the hydralic cables and the levers, right?

I'm still unconvinced right now, since I've never had problems stopping yet with my 160g avids.  Although, in the winter, the discs would be great on my commuter--if only it had the tabs.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 10:40:57 am »

That's just the brakes, no weight on the hydralic cables and the levers, right?

I'm still unconvinced right now, since I've never had problems stopping yet with my 160g avids.  Although, in the winter, the discs would be great on my commuter--if only it had the tabs.

Thats the the lot levers/master cylinder hoses calipers all in weight suprising I know but I 've got the standard ones and can vouch for them they are light, but I live in England so disc's are a big advantage with our weather,don't change if your happy with what you've got. [smiley=nod.gif]