Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:17:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 46
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 39
Total: 39
39 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Carbon shock mounting plates loose on OZ....  (Read 2680 times)

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
Carbon shock mounting plates loose on OZ....
« on: April 20, 2010, 07:55:09 pm »
Yeah, I know its been a long time since I posted....

I noticed my mounting plates were loose.....removed upper shock bolt and found out how loose exactly....

I must do something very soon...

I could drill the rivets thru, ( they'll come out the headtube, right?),  epoxy and re-rivet...or ?

Surely somebody has  experienced this before?

Ed
oz-m,next lp,kings717's,bb7's,dhxair

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Carbon shock mounting plates loose on OZ....
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:58:06 am »
Yeah, I know its been a long time since I posted....

I noticed my mounting plates were loose.....removed upper shock bolt and found out how loose exactly....

I must do something very soon...

I could drill the rivets thru, ( they'll come out the headtube, right?),  epoxy and re-rivet...or ?

Surely somebody has  experienced this before?

Ed
Bummer.

I somewhat remember someone drillingout the rivets and installing aluminum plates. But I don't recall if the rivets can exit anywhere. I have a bare oz frame at home that I can check tonight.
From the looks of the carbon tech sheet, I don't see any holes.
 http://idriders.com/proflex/files/carbon_tech_sheet.pdf

Terry
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:10:00 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

w2zero

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 10:53:14 am »
Aren't those aluminum pop rivets with stainless mandrels?  Magnetic stainless at that so just enough to prevent rust but maintain strength.  Anyway, unless you want to enlarge the holes, first drive the mandrels through with a small pin punch or your drill bit will deflect from the harder mandrel and launch into the softer aluminum and carbon fiber.  From the looks of that pdf, only luck and a tiny magnet will retrieve the mandrels. 
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 04:52:36 pm »
Without seeing it firsthand I can't visualize the setup, but you can drill through carbon fiber as long as you use a grit bit instead of a toothed bit and then seal the edges of the hole with nail polish immediately afterwards to keep humidity from getting in and making the fibers delaminate. Then you can use metal bolts to secure the plates in place on the frame, as long as the bolts are the exact same size as the holes so they distribute force along the edge of the carbon fiber evenly.

But then again, I'm not sure I'd want to try it with something that takes as much of a beating as a shock mount.

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 05:47:08 am »
I think I am going to have to re-rivit, as bolting will squeeze the carbon...not good...

I cant believe this is not a common problem....it actually seems like a weak spot to me...

Was considering possibly an aluminum replacement, if there is enough room for more than one shock mount hole....adjustable geometry :)

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 07:54:41 am »

I could drill the rivets thru, ( they'll come out the headtube, right?),  epoxy and re-rivet...or ?

Ed

On my bare Carbon frame I have a couple of loose items rattling around inside it and I can confirm that there are NO exit holes for them, believe me I've tried! <GRIN>

All of the possible points have metal sleeving from one side t'other, including the headtube. So unless one of them comes loose then you will be stuck with the loose bits.

I'm planning on doing something similar, i.e. drilling out the rivets that hold the cable guides in place so as to remove them to machine out the cable stops so as to take Hydraulic hose. the inside rivet heads will just have to join the rest of the rattlers!

Col.
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

WD Pro

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 03:25:28 pm »
I injected waxoyl into the car chassis I am building to catch the bits of rivits and stop them rattling - perhaps you could do something similar ? Maybe a small amount of araldite / epoxy ?

WD :)

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 05:20:37 pm »
Colin....well I wont feel to bad knowing I'm not the only one with a rattling bike !! :)

WD pro...good idea , but to find an entry point, would have to be an exit point as well, if I didnt inject the substance before re-riviting....hmmmm

there must be a way...still thinking

It snowed here today, so I think I have a few more rideless dasys to think on this....or I'll be forced to ride a different bike....the other K2 or the Homegrown  ? ???

WD Pro

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 05:08:52 am »
Punch the middle through one of the existing rivets and use a syringe to inject a bit through ?