Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 08:19:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45
45 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: is Proflex 4500 a good bike?  (Read 3176 times)

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
is Proflex 4500 a good bike?
« on: July 16, 2003, 12:42:17 am »
the only mountain bike I have been riding since I started 3.5 years ago is my K2 Proflex 5000. I really like it. especiall since I have upgraded it to Stratos Helix Expert rear shock and the Marzocchi Bomber front fork.

but I have  always kind of wanted a back up bike, or one to loan to a freind if he needs a bike to ride with me.

I have the opportunity to buy a 4500 from someone here locally that has 5 bikes, including a new Intense, and wants to get rid of it. he has invited me to come by and make an offer.

questions:
1. is this a good bike?

2.I have never liked that  fork w/ the single smart shock that those bikes have. because they don't seem to have much travel. what is the opinion on this board of that fork?

3. does that frame really weigh less, I ask because I believe it si kevlar or carbon, right? and does it present any problems.

if it is in good shape I was thinking of offering $300 and see what he says.  will I insult him? he says he is flexible.

thanks
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: is Proflex 4500 a good bike?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 01:31:47 am »
1. yes (i.m.h.o.)
2. good xc fork but if you want plush and more travel - you'll need to get a new fork
3. the main triangle is 2.85 pounds not including swingarm and shock. the frame and swingarm are a carbon fiber thermoplastic composite.

the bike performs best, as with all older designs and like what you have done, with newer components, rear shock, fork etc.

if you want to know what the board thinks - check out the galleries and see whose got them and what they do with them.  if you're not happy with the basic components and not really interested in putting in more extra money to upgrade the bike to new millenium standards and where you think you will like it - - - - - -

drop me a note here or give me your friends email if you guys don't put a deal together.

OP

Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 03:21:34 am »
I wholeheartedly agree with everything OP has said.
IMHO, it is the best mountain bike ever made.
If you can't make a deal with the guy, let me try. One can never have too many spares.
check my gallery to see my Oz (same frame).
I have upgraded from the xlink to a Fox Talas R fork, which makes the bike even more amazing.
Try to get it, you will love it, and not  want to ride anything else, esp. if you upgrade front and rear shock. (I got a Risse Astro 5 for the rear end of mine).
Dennis  [smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 05:39:29 am »
I doubt I will ever part with mine its been and still is a fantastic bike, over the years I have upgraded and I never tire of it, go for it you wont regret it,check the galleries and have a look theres a few in there to look at mines Simon. [smiley=nod.gif]
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
  • I like to feed the trail bunnies
    • twede's k2 site
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 08:52:07 am »
The frame plus shock is easily worth $300 if it is still in good condition.  Go for it!

If you get the fork with it, sell the crosslink for $100 and finance part of a new fork.

Personally, I like the crosslink a lot as a XC fork.  It's not super plush but it tracks well.  It's not a super fast bomber, that's true, but it just feels right on technical type trails.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 08:54:09 am by dirt »
No, not that kind of bunny.  The small, furry, long-eared, pudgy nose kind.

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 02:19:41 pm »
I agree with what has been said-also I started with a 5000 then bought an Oz which is a rebadged 4500.  A medium Oz was nearly the same weight as a small 5000 around 1/4 pound less, but the ride was more forgiving which was not expected as I thought the properties of carbon were redundant on a f. s. bike.  Buy it and don't look back.
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 12:55:13 am »
thanks for all the replies.

Scott, you wrote: "A medium Oz was nearly the same weight as a small 5000 around 1/4 pound less"... would you please rephrase that because I don't understand that sentence.

bottom liine. MY K2 Proflex 5000 with Marzocchi Bomber fork and Stratos Helix Expert, slime tires, Sun Rhino Lite rims, IRC Mythos XC tires, Speedplay Frog pedals, Cateye Computer, Easton monkey riser bar, bar ends, little dinga lling bell, empty water bottle cage, Specialized Body Geometry Saddle, and WITHOUT by seat bag attached.... weighs 31 lbs.

How much less in lbs, does the 4500 or 5500 frame weigh than a 4000 or 5000 frame?

if it is 3 lbs or more difference, I would definitely buy that 4500 and just swap out all my components between the 4500 and the upgraded 5000.

specifically:

wheels and rims
handlebar
fork
rear shock

assuming that the 4500 has all XT and my 5000 has all XT except the rear derailleur, which is XTR, and is probably MUCH more used than the one on the bike I am looking at, I would not swap out any of the components, and just upgrade the rear derailleur on the 4500 at some point in the future. sound lke a good plan?

again... just what is the weight diff between a 5000 frame and a carbon fiber K2 frame???

thanks
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs