Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 07:24:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: OZ Newbie  (Read 3288 times)

Yellow_OZ

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
OZ Newbie
« on: July 01, 2003, 01:15:28 pm »
Hey guys, just wanted to say I picked up my 1st OZ (2nd proflex) last week. I have a couple pics posted in the gallery, but will get some better ones up soon.

Took the bike out for the 1st time today in some nasty weather (pooring rain in SC for a day now) and slopped around on a 3mi trail at one of the state parks here. I had a blast and this bike is soooo much more enjoyable to ride than my 455. Don't get me wrong, the 455 was a good bike, but the elasomer is shot and the front for has about 1" of travel.....just doesnt work well on downed trees etc...

Anywho, leave some comments about the bike! Hope to become as popular as "Blue Crush" is  ;)

Alex

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
Re: OZ Newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 01:26:33 pm »
your bike looks real good. how do you like the Avid disk brakes?
have fun with it.
Dennis  [smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

ToNYC

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 01:48:17 pm »
..thought I saw one just like it on ebay recently.....nice bike

Carbon_Kiwi

• Master
    • Aotearoa Web Design
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2003, 02:45:15 pm »
sweet  :)
these r great bikes, i luv mine to bits. just fitted a Risse genesis to the back of mine recently [have yet to take it for a decent spin - the weather has been shite and i've got the flu].
saving up for chris king disc hubs and a set of hope minis. that'll be it for a while [plus a sram x deraileur - if money allows].
had a 957 before and i like you loved this bike too, but the oz just rules.
yr bike looks real sweet - welcome to the club  ;)
ProFlex 957 [retired - but she will be back...]
K2 Oz - I LOVE my Oz   [smiley=nod.gif]
Giant OCR-0
Diamond Back Apex
Specialized Source Eleven

Yellow_OZ

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 02:36:59 am »
Dennis..... I love disc brakes, especially after being in the crappy weather I was in yesterday, V brakes just can't stop like discs. However I wonder if I need to get new pads.. the rear disc seems to be rubbing the outside pad so I hear a little squeak when Im not on the rear brake. I looked at the pad and I can see a wear line from the rotor and I think the caliper is hitting the higher (non worn) part of the pad. Anyhow, I wouldn't trade them for V brakes!

Tony... Yea, this is the bike you saw on ebay. It made it to me from new hampshire, and the OZ knows its in good hands. I thought the bike was a great buy considering what was invested in it, and I knew I would have a hard time getting an OZ anytime soon if I let this one go. I don't regret buying it, however I'm gonna work alittle extra the next couple weeks so I can pay it off before I go back to school in the fall.

Kiwi... thanks for the comments. I can tell this will be a quality, long lasting relationship with this bike :)

Here's the list of parts on the bike. The only things im looking at changing are the derailleurs (mainly the front). I noticed it just did not want to shift into the top gear well (maybe it needs adjusting?) but its a good excuse to buy a better piece right?

Easton carbon fiber handlebars
Strong Carbon fiber seat post
Sella Italia Flite Gel 2001
Shimano XTR Shifters/ Brake levers
Avid mechanical disc brakes
Shimano XT Rear derailleur
Shimano LX Front derailleur
Rock Shox Psylo XC fork
Noleen adjustable rear shock
Kooka crank
Spinergy xyclone wheels with PBO yellow carbon spokes
Hutchinson Python Gold Elite Tires
Shimano SPD m959 pedals
Yeti Grips
Avocet 25 computer

Alex

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 05:02:23 am »
regarding the disc brakes, you may want to try to re~shim to get the pads over the rotor and also lightly sand the pads with a 400 or 600 grit sandpaper.

glad to have another Oz aboard!

[smiley=beer.gif]

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 07:10:25 am »
Very nice although I think all K2 Oz ,4500,5500 look great, nice individual touches love to see some better pic's. [smiley=nod.gif]
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Yellow_OZ

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 11:50:50 am »
Got some more pics up. Still not the best images (low quality digi camera) but it's better. Let me know what you think!

Alex

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 03:51:18 pm »
sounds like your caliper may need to be lowered a smidge - i'd look into lowering the mount by elongating the mount holes at the top of each hole with a rat tail file.  that would lower the unit a bit.

b.t.w. this is not an 'ozfest' forum for those who may think it is getting to be such.  my wife has a rebadged 857 and i had an 856 for many, many yarrrn (as they used to say on battlestar glactica) - and i sure do miss my 856 *krusty"
(i should never have sold it and i was stupid to do so)

the evo's, beastie boys, razors, tirades, xx2-7's, monkey people, future lithium patients etc. or anyone having a bike that had a name with anything to do with that which might have appeared in the movie 'the wizard of oz' -
we really do love em all.

OP  

(i trust i speak for many on the forum - if i don't well, then this is just my h.o.)
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 07:00:12 am »
The new pic's are much better still very nice, and yellow, nice also to see another 4500 like mine(in the gallery, Simon) most tend to be 5500's or Oz's I know theres no difference anyway but still, enjoy.Simon  [smiley=nod.gif]
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

K2ozm99

• Novice
  • Thermoplastic CF Baby!
    • My OLD Proflex Gallerey
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2003, 05:51:44 am »
Nice bike Alex! Ive had my OZ two years and dont have as many nice parts as you (you pick it up this way or frame only?) I run hutchison as well and the yellow on  black sure looks slick (My gallerey is still not moved over from the old site!)

I got a question for the group ... Where did that Noleen rear shock with the large reservoir come from? Is that the NR-5? I guess its a later shock cause it looks a helluva lot beefier than my NR-2. Anyway, ive been looking at lots of companies for an aftermarket shock (Risse, Stratos, Fox, Progessive) and if Romic can make one to spec (thats what they do) i may get one of those, but if i can find a rear shock like Dennis' I may be happy just sticking with Noleen.

Does anyone know the perfomance charactersitics of the shock pictured compared to the NR-2? Travel, if it has compression adjustment? Once and for all, can anyone tell me the exact E2E length of the NR-2? Dave/Grimjack told me it was 8.25" which i believe but i heard that the stroke was 1.9" .... that right?

Once again, sweet bike Alex, too bad you live out wherever, cause we could tear up the trails out here carbon stylee!
-Ivan
'99 OZm | Fox Vanilla 125RLC and 8.5" RC Shock. XT Mega-9, Titec, Easton EA70, ODI w/ Oury's  
23 - Bay Area, Ca. (If youre local, LETS RIDE!)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2003, 06:25:02 am »
My Carbon 4500 came with a Nr4 with a piggy back reservoir it has both compression and rebound adjustments, the I to I is 209mm with a stroke of 1.75" not tried an Nr2.  

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2003, 10:11:27 am »
the standard proflex noleens were posted as 209 mm.

not all noleens went on proflexes and occasionally you'll see one for sale as an oddball size or attachments from one of those frames.

the nr-5 was the smart shock

girvin ods
nr-1
nr-2
nr-4
nr-5 - smartshock

(the 3's, if they ever existed may have been outside our market but i did see an nr-4 without a compression adjustment once - )

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Yellow_OZ

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2003, 01:47:53 am »
Ivan, I picked up the bike with most of this gear on i already. For as little as he was willing to take I couldn't pass it up. I wouldn't have bought a frame and built this for what he was asking. I takes alittle fun out of building your own bike, but I'm still happy with it. There are a couple things I want to change ...Race face headset, stem, and eventually crank all in yellow... and I've gotta get the drivetrain looked at, it just doesn't shift as well as I like. Other than that, I love it! Thanks for the compliments.

Also, my shock is an NR-4. I think the other guys answered the rest of your questions better.

Alex

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
  • I like to feed the trail bunnies
    • twede's k2 site
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2003, 11:44:50 pm »
Yellow, welcome to the group and oz-club.  I love the yellow theme too.  Those spinergies look real sweet.  My kestrel has a similar theme, with marwi gold spokes and hutch mosq gold tires.  At one time, my k2 had a red/black theme, but I've since upgraded, after losing some frame stickers (heheheh).

But all that is just looks.  The best part is the ride.  Enjoy!
No, not that kind of bunny.  The small, furry, long-eared, pudgy nose kind.