Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 12:14:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49
49 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: shoe sizes  (Read 2704 times)

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
shoe sizes
« on: June 19, 2003, 06:57:43 am »
I need some new shoes and am not going near a shop for some time so will have to buy online. I hate doing this even tho it's cheaper cos i have funky feet.I know Nike use some kind of leprachaun sizing system but what about other brands. I currently use specialized mtn comp size 45 but am thinking of either Northwave or shimano, maybe 661. Anyone know how these brands compare to specialized and regular shoes. I think i wear 44 in shoes/sneakers.thanks [smiley=yawn.gif]

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: shoe sizes
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 10:28:24 am »
Tough call. I just got lucky with a pair of Sidi Dominator 4's on eBay. I almost universally wear an 8.5 US in "normal" shoes, including my two pairs of Cannondale MTB shoes. I got 42.5 in the Sidi's and they couldn't possibly fit any better. Just did a 3 day/370 mile road ride last week in them (after wearing them on just two short rides) and they were like comfy slippers. Not a single hot spot, blister, or even soreness in over 26 hours of nearly continuous riding.

Check out sizing charts that compare different brands. I believe that Coloradocyclist.com and excelsports.com have such charts, among others.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 12:36:16 pm »
  I wouldn't by shoes w/o trying them on. I use Shimano shoes size 12.5/ 47. I ordered a pair of Axo's that were supposed to be the same size- awful fit, sent them right back.

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 01:51:28 am »
Keen, yeh I don't wanna buy w/o trying either but i don't have a choice----no lbs w/o a plane ride. I had a pr of Shimano a few yrs ago that i loved but i can't remember wot size. I don't want to go for the same shoes i use now, they're ok, but i want something that i can hike in if necessary. I am planning an assault on Blue Mtn Peak in a month and that includes a lot of nasty walking/carrying, the 6mile singletrack DH is worth it tho'.Maybe i'll use platforms/sneakers but i like being clipped in.

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 02:25:53 am »
I wear the Specklized Comps in a 47, Shimano road in a 48, Axo road in a 46 and Northwave Mountain in a 46...if that helps any...
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 04:49:12 am »
i wanted to get a pair of SIDI mega dominators and went the online route through Nashbar. got what i thought was the right size compared to what i was wearing at the time but had to return and swap for another, no problem at all. buying shoes online is a tough call though when you are trying somehting different. Nashbar was fine and prompt.

you could order three pair of diff sizes and return two. you pay for shipping of course.

it's hard to compare shoe sizes between brands even between makers.  i wear a "mega" size for mt biking and a normal width for road riding, both from SIDI

and ...No I don't wear white tube socks on the Oz! [smiley=laughing.gif]

fevans

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 05:30:30 am »
Some things, like shoes, are extremely difficult to buy online.  However, you can get some really good deals online.  

Here's what I do.  If I'm going to buy something online and I know that there's a pretty good chance that I might have to return something, I buy several different brands/sizes.  Then after I've had a chance to try everything on in the comfort of my own home, I send back what I don't want.  Works almost every time.  

I've done this with shoes, saddles, helmets, clothes, you name it.

Hope this helps.
Forrest

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 10:01:26 am »
I am planning an assault on Blue Mtn Peak in a month and that includes a lot of nasty walking/carrying, the 6mile singletrack DH is worth it tho'.Maybe i'll use platforms/sneakers but i like being clipped in.

If you want a comfortable walking/riding shoe for a good price that will also hold up well, I highly recommend any of Cannondale's shoes. Nashbar often has them on sale. Last year's models are almost identical to the new ones. Also, Specialized used to make the "Rockhopper" shoes, which were kind of plain looking tan, but comfy and incredibly durable. I see them cheap on Ebay all the time. I'm sure they would fit the same as your other Specialized shoes...

The Sidi's I have wouldn't be all that great for hiking in. The soles are pretty dang stiff. Just my $.04 (I already gave my $.02 above...)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 12:09:34 pm »
on my diadora road shoes I wear a 42.5
Nike Cairn 42.5
Shimanos 42

I usually wear 8.5 u.s.  all of these fit perfectly