Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:50:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36
36 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Great Bike Weekend  (Read 4603 times)

DugB

• Master
Great Bike Weekend
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:35:19 pm »
Man, I just had a great weekend on and off the bike :-)

Friday night I was inspired by an upcoming night ride to finally make a light for my bike. I already had one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/64enql

So I started to look at extra parts I had laying around and found a small segment of PVC and a PVC end cap. I machined the end cap so the LED module fits inside...then machined the inside of the PVC segment so it mates to the end cap. I picked up a small switch and 8 AA battery holder at Radio Shack, cut an old computer cable and wired it all together with a BMW /2 pushrod tube seal as the rubber cable grommet coming off the back. All that and some velcro tape and I now have a 500 lumen helmet mounted LED headlight for around $100 (including the 8 Duracell rechargeable batteries). I tried it tonight and it worked great on some nighttime technical singletrack. It's the budget version of the NiteRider TriNewt :-)
I'll snap some photos and post a parts list of anyone is interested.

Second, on Sunday I practiced the 18 mile ride I'd need to make if I want to ride to my client's office. I work there 3 days a week and have been hoping to find a suitable route. It's up and down hilly roads, 4 miles along the C&O Canal and a little more than I'd hoped for, but Sunday I did it in 1.5 hours (including a 10 minute tire change when a nail went straight through it). I'm going to try riding to work Wednesday along the same route.

Third, tonight I had a great night ride using the light I made on some technical singletrack. I was supposed to meet a group, but our signals crossed and I was the only one there (time miscommunication? Labor Day holiday? no clue...). So I went it on my own and had a great time. When it darkened I just clicked on the lamp and all went well. I did about 8 miles that way but then wanted dinner.

That's about it...great bike weekend, all on the K2 4000. I also installed COR springs on my 856, which would be fully on the road except I tried to swap out the crank for an old Cook Brothers I have...but it needs a longer BB :-/ Guess I'll put on the old LX for the time being.

Take care, all! :-)

5500c
956 LE (thanks, Terry!)
955 (small, for my wife)
Cannondale SuperVs
'62 Puch 250 SGS
'67 BMW R60/2
'52 BMW R67/2
a very understanding wife