Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 04:22:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 52
Total: 52
52 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Steering dampner  (Read 3240 times)

Proflexman

• Journeyman
Steering dampner
« on: June 06, 2003, 01:32:40 am »
I have been looking through the galleries and you lot have some nice looking bikes however i saw what looks like a steering dampner is this so and what is it like also can you use it for hard xc and single track.
Is it still available and what does it cost roughly and where from, can one buy it over the net.
I use Marz Mx pro 80-108 forks on my Proflex ozx and have found them good value for the price i paid better than those Pace airforce Rc 38 with lockout.
I was going to buy the USE sub fork but because the fork is a newbie the problems have not been ironed out yet as there is a fault with them in that on repeated fast bumps you get stickchion and the forks locks up. [smiley=beer.gif]

Andy

• Novice
    • My K2
I've had my dampner for over a year.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 02:50:53 am »
Dominic,

I bought a Hopey steering dampner over a year ago, and I love it. It really makes the bike super-stable over rough terrain and when going wicked-fast! the only downside is that they are pricey.

here's my bike with one installed:
http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?photo=Andy/1070753_IMG.JPG

Hopey's web site is http://www.hopey.org

The bike shop where I got mine has a Super-Lite model left that he has not been able to sell. I think he has it on sale for $200 (list is $250) but thanks to your favorable exchange rate it would probably only cost you about £125.

Where ever you get one, GET ONE! they work great!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2003, 02:52:01 am by andy »

Proflexman

• Journeyman
Re: Steering dampner
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 06:44:08 am »
Thanks Andy i will contact them and see what they can do and as you say its not very expensive well not as bad as some of the gear thats on my bike.
You ever tried rapid rise rear mech it far quicker and allows you to change more than one gear at a time up to four.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 07:11:56 am »
they are pricey, but like Andy says they do work as claimed! :)

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2003, 08:02:06 am »
yes, yes, get a Hopey. I, too, have one and do basic trailriding. it is wonderful.
thinking about putting one on my road bike too, its that good.
[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2003, 12:03:53 pm »
You ever tried rapid rise rear mech it far quicker and allows you to change more than one gear at a time up to four.

I have one on one bike and a regular one on the other bike. "Rapid Rise" is kind of a misnomer. The rear mech has nothing to do with how many gears you can shift at a time. That's a function of the shifters. As for being faster, I've never really noticed a difference. It does have the advantage of somewhat smoother shifting to a faster gear though. Personally, I kind of prefer the standard derailleur since I don't race and I often need to get to a bigger rear cog quickly, but that's just me. Oh, and rapid rise makes my gear indicator work backwards...

For what it's worth, the new 2003 XTR setup uses a "rapid rise" rear derailleur as standard.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

ToNYC

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2003, 04:42:02 pm »
..fellas w/ the hopey, does the dampener prevent you from 'wiggling' the handle bar?

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
rapid rise
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2003, 11:48:24 pm »
I can't say much about the Hopey except, that I have lusted after them.  In regard to the rapid rise derailleur, however, I also have both styles of derailuer.  For me, the advantage of the RR is on uphills (or approaching a hill).  Not only do I feel like I get to the bigger cogs (lower gears) quicker, but I can actually make the shift when I still have some pressure on the chain.  This is an absolute no-no  with the regular derailleur as it wil jam and clunk and bend cog teeth.  I don't know exactly why the rapid rise is less susceptible to this, but it is.

That all said, I'm still more used to the regular style.  So I do get my upshifts and downshifts confused from time to time.
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)

Proflexman

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2003, 05:11:44 am »
I have just ordered the Hopey dampner as you guys rate it so it must be good and if its good enough for you its good enough for me.
I grew up with the standard shifters and changing over to the rapid rise was not without mistakes when shifting up i am going down and vice versa.
Thanks everyone for your opinion

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2003, 06:43:32 am »
..fellas w/ the hopey, does the dampener prevent you from 'wiggling' the handle bar?

no, the knob on the top of the damper is an adjustment knob. you can back off and in essence "turn it off".  the adjustment knob is progressive. it helps to keep you going where you want to go, point and go. the steering is damped, similar to a shock damping input from a tire.

go to the site www.hopey.org and check it out. it is NOT a must have, bit it's a real trick component.

[smiley=beer.gif]

Proflexman

• Journeyman
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2003, 07:44:30 am »
If you have to screw down a knob to apply pressure to the steering how does affect the headset bearings.
I ordered the lite one but i have noticed that C/A has a coloured one how so if they are only supplied in Mr.Fords black.
Does it also work as headlock.
Do you have to have forks a certain length, is there anything i should know about fitting.

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2003, 03:49:10 am »
The Shimano tech. at PedroFest said he wouldn't  be w/o a R.R. on his bikes.  That was 3 years ago and I'm still waiting for my standard XTR to wear out so I can put my R.R. to the test-plus my Plasma shifters will then move in the same directions for higher/lower gearing.
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

Andy

• Novice
    • My K2
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2003, 05:17:14 am »
Dominic,

The hopey doesn't affect the headset bearing anymore than a star-flanged nut.

It kinda works the same as far as tightening up the headset. You tighten the nut on the bottom (up thru the underside of the steerer tube) using a socket with extention. This allows the Hopey to grab the inside of the steerer tube with the 3 steel teeth (as you tighten with the socket, the teeth expand. Then you turn the wide nut (the red nut below the nob) and that does the same as tighteneing the top cap on a conventional headset. The Pain in the ass about this is that the nut is 35mm and I can't find a 35mm open-end wrench anywhere. However, a 35mm bike wrench works fine without damaging the nut.

The knob does not tighten the headset bearings at all, it only changes the amount of dampening that the unit provides. You will find that at first you will barely have it on, and after a while you will have it cranked to the max. I't like a drug, you want more to get the same effect!

It does not have enough force to "lock" the steering though. and you won't need to change the length of your steerer tube. it will work the same way as it did with the original top cap.

The directions, while short and sweet, are quite easy to follow. give me a shout if something doesn't look clear.

P.S. I never used one of those R.R. derailures, but I've heard they work pretty well.