Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 06:18:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 21
Total: 21
21 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: My first ProFlex; advice and suggestions?  (Read 4395 times)

Fizban

• Novice
  • Vince in Libertatem
My first ProFlex; advice and suggestions?
« on: May 06, 2008, 03:38:32 pm »
     Hello everyone!
     My name is Nick and I just came into ownership of my first Proflex. It's a ProFlex Newport I bought used (naturally) at a LBS for $223. It is all original and in great shape for its age, with new tires. The specs mostly seem to match up with this page:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1994&Brand=ProFlex&Model=Newport&Type=bike

I commute by bike to school and work. I am a student on a budget, and was looking to get an cheap upgrade on my old Fuji Boulevard. I bought this bike knowing nothing of ProFlex, largely because of it's trigger-style shifters, cantilever brakes and looks.
I thought the real elastomer was cool when I bought it, but since then I've been researching and am ahving second thoughts. After learning about their tendency to degrade and difficulty to come by I feel a little uneasy...Although it appears to be in good shape for now. It has a Girvin Flexstem also, and the elastomer in it seems rock hard.
     I wanted a solid commuter, and bought this bike with the hope that it would need only little maintenance, but have found out since I bought it that perhaps it may need a new stem (if the elastomer is shot, I want a simpler, lighter stem) and elastomer (ordered from Scotland, no less), plus the tune-up it needs.
     So my question; Is it worth it for me, do you guys think, to fix up the Newport for a grand total investment (assuming $223 purchase price, $25 new stem, $50 elastomer, $40 tune-up) of about $350, or should I just pay $450 at my other LBS for a brand new Giant FCR3 with warranty and service plan. What are the benefits of the Proflex that make it worth fixing up?

Finally, If the new bike is a better idea, would any of you guys here be interested in buying my Newport? I would like to get $200 for it, if I sold it.

Thanks,
Nick

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: My first ProFlex; advice and suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 02:51:40 am »
on the face of it you present a very good argument,but a 100 dollars is a hundred dolars....for the price you paid for it from the bike shop i would have THEM pitch in....
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:18:40 am »
Hey Nick!

In the time being, I can send you some elastomers that work. I have 40 durometer for the front, and 60 durometer for the rear. They are not perfect, but solved my problem. I too have a Newport, and have been thrashing the life out of it.

I would talk to your bike shop about a tuneup, seeing as you have issues there. But the elastomers you can take care of yourself.

If you got any pics, I would like to see it. Here is mine. The 40 durometer elastomer is in the flexstem and is amazing.

PM me with an address and I will send off an elastomer care package to you.

Terry

« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 09:28:03 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Fizban

• Novice
  • Vince in Libertatem
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 01:36:11 pm »
Hi again everyone! Great to hear from you guys. Here are some pics of the Newport.

So its pretty hip. I like it, I just want it to be really usable. I would certainly greatly appreciate the elastomer care package, Shovelon, but I don't want to take them from you unless I really need them. Here is the elastomer uncompressed vs. compressed...it seems to have gone too soft to me, what do you guys think? Is this how its supposed to work?

Fizban

• Novice
  • Vince in Libertatem
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 05:20:58 pm »
****UPDATE****

Got some new elastomers from Shovelon and just finished installing them; here are the pics:

Holy crap! This is amazing. These completely rejuvenated the old Newport. The old rear was squishing up so flat it didn't have any bounce, but this one works great. I think it looks cooler, too (even though its not "stock").

This is a 40 durometer elastomer used in the Flexstem, and it too is outstanding. My old one didn't work at all, it had hardened up completely. I had no idea that the stem could work so well! Takes out all the bumps.

All in all, after patching it up a little, I think this will make a killer commuter; especially after feeling the stem work properly. I feel bad that I ever doubted it! ;D

Peace,
Nick