Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 01:21:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30
30 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Full Suspension Single Speeds in MBA Magazine  (Read 4957 times)

willem

Full Suspension Single Speeds in MBA Magazine
« on: November 06, 2007, 02:22:50 am »
Well Callum, it's as though they were reading our minds...

Mountain Bike Action published a great article on "How To Make a Full Suspension SS"

There are great tidbits in there on how to make the change. They're a little short on how to deal with >2" of chain growth, and they recommend some expensive alternatives, but all in all it's pretty good.

FWIW, while I'm selling one 856 (or trying to in the last 24 hours of my ebay listing) I will always keep my SS. It's so much fun to ride!

Will

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Full Suspension Single Speeds in MBA Magazine
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:34:45 am »
Will, you are tempting me big time.

I have an 856 semi built. Does the rear suspension design lend itself to SS? I can't imagine an Evo design lend itself as the bobbing could be great. The short swingarm and high pivot is what that "Dig-in Technology" is all about.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

willem

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 07:36:31 am »
Terry,

I bought a XBB single chainring w/ bashguard, a Surly Singleator, a SS Chain, and a SS cog w/flared spacers from Jenson USA. The total bill was about $160.

Right now I'm running a 32x16 but would recommend the other cog, an 18, that comes in the SS kit.

You've got to run the Singleator under the chain in "push up" mode. Without any sag though, the lower chain actually touches the upper chain.

The Singleator doesn't have quite enough chutzpah to hold the chain up for me, so I added a tension spring from the strut pivot to the Singleator axle. (It looks almost factory!)

Anyhow, this bike has slicks, disks, and a cheap 5" fork. It goes like stink and loves to jump off drainage walls, curbs, etc. Haven't had that much fun on a bike since I went chairlifting in Colorado!

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 07:50:19 am »
would one of those Rohloff tensioners with 2 wheels do the trick? I use one of them for a 2 speed I have (2 rings up front, single cog at the back - not full suss I should add!). May give you enough room for chain growth?

This isn't my one but a stock photo - this one seems to have a Rohloff hub too...but the principle's the same.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 07:51:26 am by orange »
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

purple gerbil

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 07:58:22 am »
im probably talking verbal crap here but cant you lockout a shortcage mech with longer h/l gear screws.
THE 1 AND ONLY PURPLE GERBIL...

1991 ALPINESTARS AL-MEGA DX.
1992 PRO-FLEX 862.
1994 PRO-FLEX 954.
1994? GT RTS.
1998 GT LTS DS 2000.
1998 K2 4000se PROJECT.

willem

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 12:38:44 pm »
I think a "locked out" derailleur will work fine. It'll cause quite a bit more friction and take away from the "ultra simple" cachet of a SS.

For some verbal abuse - and good advice from the SS geniuses, try this link...

http://www.surlybikes.com/spew3.html

This switch back from Daylight Savings Time is great! I get to go Single Speeding before work again!