Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 04:31:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42
42 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Seat post  (Read 2599 times)

Proflexman

• Journeyman
Seat post
« on: June 05, 2003, 11:42:01 am »
I have recently bought a K2 carbon proflex ozx from a dealer in the UK who had it in his storeroom for about the last four years un-used, rare i know as it must be one of the last around to be built up now.
However does anyone know did the frame have a sleave for the seat post as standard because in the build i bought the right post for the frame and now after riding i have found the black sleave with clamp and seat post turns from side to side.
if its not meant to do this i will use west system epoxy to stop it.
Thanks for any help on this one.

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
Re: Seat post
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 12:21:12 pm »
I have the same frame.  Can you see if the aluminum insert rotates in the thermoplastic?  The insert on my bike is plain grey aluminum and not black, so I just wanted to be sure we're talking about the same part.  The sleeve is epoxied into the thermoplastic and, if its rotating, it needs to be re-epoxied.  Just about any 2-part, high strength epoxy should suffice.  If you need to epoxy, remove the sleeve from the bike first by clamping the seatpost tightly and pull it out while rotating.  Clean the surfaces with a little acetone.

As for the standard size, the bike is setup for a 27.2 mm seat post.
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 02:03:58 pm »
In the past there were several posters who had the same problem. Just a lack of sufficient epoxy at the connection. Glue that baby back in and forget all about it!

Matt (Jealous "wish I had an Oz" 5000 rider)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Proflexman

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 01:12:21 am »
Afternoon all, i just pulled out the seat post and insert as well, it seems to insert into an alloy collar which is factory fitted and still in there.
I will clean up the faces later and use the west system epoxy to glue it back in.
I contacted K2 last year in order to buy a K2 but they would not talk to me, and we dont have a supplier in the UK anymore.
So when this frame assey came up for £600 i just had to drive the 250 miles to see it.
It was a bit pricey but it meant alot to me and i love riding it more so when peoples heads turn to look at it and i have been offered 2.5k for it and turned it down. [smiley=laughing.gif]

fevans

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2003, 03:51:20 am »
I wonder if you had a seatpost shim in with your post.  These are used so that you can use a smaller seatpost on a larger seat tube.  If so, I wouldn't glue that in your frame.

Forrest

Proflexman

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2003, 06:29:48 am »
No i have looked at the collar and it seems to have the remains of glue on it and on the inner face of the tube in the frame as well.