Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 04:20:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 44
Total: 44
44 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Will I like my new Psylo Fork?  (Read 3148 times)

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Will I like my new Psylo Fork?
« on: May 19, 2003, 03:06:35 pm »
  I purchased an 02' Psylo XC U Turn fork. I will put in on my 01' Way Big Disco Monkey. What is the general feeling about this fork? I weigh 200# and ride agressive XC will I need stiffer springs? Thanx

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Will I like my new Psylo Fork?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 10:58:19 pm »
a friend has one that came with his trek liquid 20. It seems to work fine, and so far no problems. U turn feature is fantastic. Use it as it is and if you find it too soft then change the springs.

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 06:07:26 am »
Probably.  The Psylo's I've been on are VERY undersprung.  The other catch is that you have to pick a spring weight and live with it.  No preload adjustment here...
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 07:20:27 am »
When you have fitted the forks sit on the bike measure the fork sag if it exceeds the recommended amount you will require a stiffer spring, adding or reducing preload will not alter a spring rate, it will always compress at the same rate, preload adjustments will only effect sag.Try it first you may like it just as it is.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Steve O

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 05:49:56 am »
I swapped the U-turn out of my '02 Pyslo in favor of the '01 preload adjustment. I don't have the ability to change the travel setting anymore, but never used it anyway and like the preload a lot more.

Steve O

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2003, 10:12:02 am »
You'll be better off with an 01 psylo fitted with the deeper 02 bushes,  you get pre-load adjustment plus you'll still have the vari-adjust system, only you have to remove the top cap each time you wish to carry out any adjustment.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

sp1te

• Novice
  • WORD
    • 10100.org
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2003, 11:07:44 am »
I have the 02 psylo and like the fork im 190 and have it on the disco monkey. If you do any jumping though they start to creak after a couple jumps but other than that they have lasted me 4 months so far of some pretty hard, urban, trails, jump, and xc riding.

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 03:20:20 pm »
  Well I ran it w/ the stock red spring ( 25mm sag) and it was terribly soft. I ordered a blue firm spring (19mm sag) and it might still be a tad soft, borderline. The first few inches are plush but the compression doesn't ramp up like my Z1 Marzocchi. I was recomended to add some more oil or change the weight before I order an X firm spring. Any opinions? Thanx... about sag and preloading springs- never bought into those practices.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 09:49:06 pm »
Don't use to much preload this only sets your sag using to much means you need a heavier spring,You cannot add oil as the pyslo runs a pure damping system, the cartridge is already completly full of oil,try changing to a heavier wieght oil as the standard oil used is only 5wt,check out http://www.rockshox.com/03RSTechSupport/TuningTips/03RSTuningTipspage.htm  this should sort you out its easy to follow hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2003, 09:51:56 pm by Simon »

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2003, 02:38:40 am »
  I have an 02' Psylo XC- no preload adjustments, nor does it have pure dampning it uses an open bath/ hydra coil setup.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2003, 04:14:22 am »
Sorry did'nt realise your's was a XC model, however I've checked the rockshox web site(just click on the web address on my last post) they have all the information you need, sping rates against riders weight,oil volume and check out the tuning tips etc, also noticed your model also uses 5 wt oil so changing to another grade could be your answer.Simon.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2003, 04:31:58 am by Simon »