Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 03:52:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 37
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 38
Total: 38
38 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: OZ rear spring rates  (Read 3785 times)

IMO

• Apprentice
  • if it aint broke.- you aint tryin
OZ rear spring rates
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:48:10 am »
Hey,
I am trying to get a new spring for my manitou spv 4 way , and was wondering what rate you  guys were using .
The previous owner (swissnic) ran a 550lb spring, which hardly moves under my 78kg weight.
The rear shock seems to be leeking air , and needs pumping up daily , I am putting this down to a year or so of not moving.
I  was going to send it to Tf tuning for a re-build, and get another spring fitted at the same time. I usually ride cross country , and dont do jumps, apart from sleeping policemen. The TF webpage reckons 275 ish , but that seems an awfull lot less to me . I was thinking more of 350lbin, then letting the spv air control the bounce.
Any information greatly appreciated.
First impression of the Oz , well its  certainly light, quicker steering than my old skool 656. Brakes and driveline work well,  a small amount of ghosting , but some WD in the cable helped that. I need to get the air preassure right in the Marathon sl's on the front as they dont seem to move much, about 1" sag , plus maybe 1 1/2" more when bouncing over big roots. ETA lock is a bonus on climbs , just enough movement to help impacts, without the bounce.
Still way better than the old mcu set up 656.
Thanks again Rob
The downside of every climb is in the upside

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: OZ rear spring rates
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 07:13:19 am »
I use a 400 lb manitou spring.  I am 82kg weight.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

RhinoDave

• Apprentice
  • Built for comfort...not speed!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 01:25:59 pm »
I'm 86 kg running a 400 lb spring on a six way coil with 2.5" stroke. I think the TF site is a pretty good indicator for me anyway. The shock came with a 300 lb spring and I had to crank the spring preload in farther than recommended to reduce the sag. Good source of springs is:
http://www.phattire.com/frresuresp.html
"Never waste a downhill"

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:10:34 pm »
At 68 kg, I found that a 400lb linear spring was okay for XC riding, while a 400lb progressive (which starts out at less than 350, but ramps up quickly) was a little too plush. I didn't really like the idea of augmenting the spring with air (although that's what I had to do with the second spring to avoid bottoming), because it seemed like I was compromising (i.e. too cheap to invest in a 375lb spring). It worked pretty well though. I'd say a 400lb spring is probably good for your weight.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

IMO

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:05:01 am »
Ok, IM going with a 400lb in spring. I am certain the design of the Manitou swinger 4 way is to supplement or fine tune the spring with air damping. To customise the damping you charge the piggy back resevoir with 150lb ish , then adjust the volume of the piggy back to give ramp up characturistics. small chamber= quick pressure build , Large chamber = slower ramp up.
I have signed up to do  a charity (CLIC) 24 hr team ride in Somserset in 3 weeks, so training every other night.
Rob

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 09:50:47 am »
Ok, IM going with a 400lb in spring. I am certain the design of the Manitou swinger 4 way is to supplement or fine tune the spring with air damping. To customise the damping you charge the piggy back resevoir with 150lb ish , then adjust the volume of the piggy back to give ramp up characturistics. small chamber= quick pressure build , Large chamber = slower ramp up.
I have signed up to do  a charity (CLIC) 24 hr team ride in Somserset in 3 weeks, so training every other night.
Rob
If it were me, I would load the platform chamber to 80 psi, then adjust the spring to about 1 inch of sag. Then increase or decrease the chamber untill you like how it breaks the platform. 150 psi would be like using a brick for a saddle.

There is a warning to not ride less than 50 psi in the chamber as to not damage the valving.

Have fun,
Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 12:38:49 am »
Are there any photos available of the swinger shock installed on a K2?
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

IMO

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 06:26:16 am »
If i knew how to, i have a good quality digi camera, but am not up to speed with getting them on here, I can e-mail them tho.  
Rob

RhinoDave

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 12:13:30 pm »
Here's a few of my shock.

"Never waste a downhill"

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 03:38:54 pm »
Thanks Rob-I'm at stp4793 AT verizon DOT net.

Rhino Dave thanks too, is that 6in. travel in the rear now?  Any problems with the chain/shifting?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

RhinoDave

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 12:27:52 pm »
Current setup has 6.75" in the back and 5.7" up front. I think the orginal noleen had 4.7" of travel on the back. I've had no issues with shifting or dropped chains. No ghost shifts at all. I"m not a real aggressive rider though and I tend to roll most drops and obsticles when possible. So far the shock has performed extremely well. I'm still playing with the settings on both front and back as I've been losing weight steadily since January 22nd(30 lbs so far).  
"Never waste a downhill"

IMO

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 06:43:45 am »
I have my shock mounted the other way up, with the air cartidge uppermost, and the pre -load adjuster also at the top . Did  you try mounting it the other way up ?? Whose is right ? Does it matter any which way?
went with a 300lb in spring , and 100 psi in the chamber , still  not happy with it. just doesnt seem fast, or as comfortable as my 656. I think its a geo issue. froont of saddle to bars is 2 " longer on my 656, so i invested in some 170gm riser bars which a so light its unreal, then i cant actually fit em up as the Magura pipes are too short, requiring new ones , and the front mech shifter cable shroads are too short.....

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 07:46:59 am »
I have my shock mounted the other way up, with the air cartidge uppermost, and the pre -load adjuster also at the top . Did  you try mounting it the other way up ?? Whose is right ? Does it matter any which way?
went with a 300lb in spring , and 100 psi in the chamber , still  not happy with it. just doesnt seem fast, or as comfortable as my 656. I think its a geo issue. froont of saddle to bars is 2 " longer on my 656, so i invested in some 170gm riser bars which a so light its unreal, then i cant actually fit em up as the Magura pipes are too short, requiring new ones , and the front mech shifter cable shroads are too short.....

Your weight is slightly under mine. I would not be able to get away with a 300lb spring. Mine is 400 lb.

100 lbs in the Platform chamber is problably giving you an excess of lockout, while raising the ride height.

Do you think this is happening?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS