Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 03:31:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 37
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 24" rear wheel conversion.  (Read 3167 times)

GinSonic

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
24" rear wheel conversion.
« on: May 19, 2007, 06:43:50 am »
I guess this is somewhat related to the other topic I started concerning a disc brake conversion. This 24" wheel is the reason why I inquired of rear discs, {basically the rear V-brake is rendered useless with a 24,}  but this is a whole new issue.

I recently got an awesome deal on a custom built 24" Tioga DH rear wheel complete. {Came with a new Maxxis HighRoller tire too!} All that was needed was to swap over the 8spd cassette from the 26" one. No problems there.  

Here's the issue at hand;
The axle doesn't fit the dropouts. I made sure that the length was correct before purchase, {135mm,} However the diameter of the axle'is a slight bit wide. It obviously won't slip into the dropouts. {An oversight that I didn't even think about. Oh well. Live and learn!}

Short of filing the dropouts to fit the bigger diameter axles, is there an alternative? Perhaps an axle with reduced sized ends to where it mounts to the dropouts? Or is filing to fit my only option?

I'm somewhat concerned in regards to comprimising the integrity in that area but seeing as this bike is going to have an easy life, {commuter, cruiser, casual, light trails, urban,} I'm thinking filing a bit of aluminium from that area should be fine. What do you guys think?

I've recently acquired a used front Magura Gustav disc brake kit. I believe that'd be more than enough brake for the ol' street bruiser Proflex project. Still wouldn't mind a rear disc setup though. Until such time, these'll more than suffice.

So, can anyone give some advice here?
Thanks.
  G.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 06:45:25 am by GinSonic »