Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 11:19:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Broken Vector 2  (Read 4324 times)

crogthomas

• Novice
  • Proflex 656
Broken Vector 2
« on: April 27, 2007, 07:39:51 am »
Just taking the Vector 2 fork apart on my 656 to grease the pivots I discovered the pictured nastiness.

The Eccentric shaft has sheared in two at some point. I note with some annoyance that the bolt that goes in the end finishes exactly at the point the groove is for the o-ring. If only the thread and bolt were 5mm or so longer, it would have strengthened the eccentric.

Questions I have two: (sort of)

a) Does anyone have a spare? I also need some other parts of the upper link bushings which have been heavy handidily manipulated in the past and are now misshapen and refuse to rotate. Anyone got any odds and sods laying around they’d be willing to swap for beer tokens?

b) Does anyone have any thoughts on replacing the eccentric with a concentric? I have access to a lathe and a moderate amount of skill with which to use it. I think making a new eccentric would be beyond me, but I could easily turn up a perfectly round version. I realise this would make it non-adjustable, but hopefully halfway between the two settings. Anyone tried their Vectors on the middle setting? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Craig
656 For Sale

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: Broken Vector 2
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 08:33:01 am »
I've never tried my vectors on the middle setting but have tried either end of the adjustability spectrum and would have thought it would be OK to use. Can you not actually lathe it to be where you want it i.e. anti-pogo or pogo (small-bump insensitive or small-bump sensitive respectively) by clamping it off-centre and turning there?

The only person who might have some spare parts for a vector still here that I can think of is Simon. I will PM you his email address as he hasn't been here for a while I don't think.

good luck.
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

crogthomas

• Novice
  • Proflex 656
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 09:59:17 am »
Cheers Orange, have sent Simon an email.

The difficult part of trying to reproduce the eccentric is getting the holes in either end on the same centre so that the eccentric runs true without binding in the bearings. I'll see if I can find one first.
656 For Sale

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 07:02:15 pm »
yes good point - Simon's a whizz on this sort of stuff too - he may be able to advise.
'95 855

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 07:59:11 pm »
I have a whole vector fom a 756 .I can send you the links etc.I want to keep the legs in case they fit  crosslink.
kiwi proflex rider

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 09:15:27 pm »
 I haven't disappeared I lurk here most days lol,

I have all the parts and an email reply is sent.

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

crogthomas

• Novice
  • Proflex 656
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 10:04:07 pm »
Thanks for the offer Kiwi, but im in the UK. Simon sounds like he can help me out with a replacement.
I might make a concentric version anyway, just for fun. Inquisitive mind you see.

Craig
656 For Sale

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 11:12:52 pm »
what a helpful bunch we are! :-)
'95 855

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 12:21:36 pm »
surface mail is cheap...O P and I once "shared" a carbon crosslink,he sent it to me,and when he wanted it back i sent it back... California to NZ and back.[smiley=Cool.gif]
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 06:27:17 am »
Just taking the Vector 2 fork apart on my 656 to grease the pivots I discovered the pictured nastiness.

The Eccentric shaft has sheared in two at some point. I note with some annoyance that the bolt that goes in the end finishes exactly at the point the groove is for the o-ring. If only the thread and bolt were 5mm or so longer, it would have strengthened the eccentric.

Questions I have two: (sort of)

a) Does anyone have a spare? I also need some other parts of the upper link bushings which have been heavy handidily manipulated in the past and are now misshapen and refuse to rotate. Anyone got any odds and sods laying around they’d be willing to swap for beer tokens?

b) Does anyone have any thoughts on replacing the eccentric with a concentric? I have access to a lathe and a moderate amount of skill with which to use it. I think making a new eccentric would be beyond me, but I could easily turn up a perfectly round version. I realise this would make it non-adjustable, but hopefully halfway between the two settings. Anyone tried their Vectors on the middle setting? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Craig

Yikes! It is a pretty good testament to the construction that it was still rideable.

Yes, I would thread the hole a little deeper and use a longer bolt. However, this is the first I have seen of this problem.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

minguicas

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 11:06:11 am »
i´ve got the same problem but i did what shovelon is talking and the problem disappear.
proflex 853
Scott Octane Fx4
Scott Octane Fx1

crogthomas

• Novice
  • Proflex 656
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 10:09:11 pm »
i´ve got the same problem but i did what shovelon is talking and the problem disappear.

Tell me more. Has this happened a lot? How?

I dont think it could have happened in service. The centre part of the spindle does not take any force and therefore there would be nothing to cause it to shear at that point. The most likely reason the spindle sheared is that it was done up too tight by the previous owner. As shovelon says I intend to tap the new one deeper and use longer bolts as insurance. Luckily for me this damaged part probably hasnt been taking any load for two reasons:
1) the Elastomers were hard as rocks
2) the bike probably hadnt been riden for years anyway.
656 For Sale

crogthomas

• Novice
  • Proflex 656
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 08:24:25 pm »
Got the spare eccentric from Simon yesterday, thanks Simon. Interestingly the new one is threaded much deeper inside than the old one, meaning I can use longer screws without having to tap the holes deeper. Perhaps it was off a later model and Proflex had learnt a leason?

The orignial screws were M6x15mm. I intend to repalce them with the M6x20 screws that act as the pinch bolts on the bottom spring mount. Those pinch bolts will then be replaced with M6x25 as detailed in here:
http://www.k2bike.com/01site/tech_forum/pdfs/v1_v2_al_alignment.pdf
Makes it less likely to go out of alignment apparently.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:44:52 am by crogthomas »
656 For Sale