Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 10:22:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61
61 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Homemade Tubeless Tire  (Read 2833 times)

jimbo

Homemade Tubeless Tire
« on: May 19, 2003, 07:14:46 am »
I experimented over the weekend and got the thing to work.  I've been reading the threads at mtbr and tried one method that was seemed the simplest.  

I got a bmx 20 inch tube and sliced it down the middle opposite of the valve.  I placed the tube on the rim with the excess tubing hanging over the sides.  I mounted the tire within the flaps.  I took out the schrader valve core and put in a mixture of 1 part latex mold builder, 1/2 part Slime Tubeless stuff and 2 parts water.  I put the core back on and swished the stuff around.  The tricky part was trying to inflate it.  My floor pump wouldn't inflate so I took it down to the service station and used their air compressed pump.  The thing worked.  The tire inflated right away.  The gook was coming out at various locations, but sealed up within a few minutes.   I inflated to 50 pounds and left it over night.  The next morning the thing still was inflated so I trimmed off the excess flap and pulled the leaked gook off like sticky gummy bears.  Deflated the tire to normal riding pressure and went for 3 hours ride over rocks and roots.  The Damm thing works.  

I only tried the rear tire.  If it seems to hold up, then I'll try the front.  I don't know if I accidently had the right rim/tire combo. (rhinolights/maxxis)  The real test will be in Makakilo where there of tons of thorns.  We've been riding a lot there lately and I've been patching a lot of tubes.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 07:52:07 am by jimbo »

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: Homemade Tubeless Tire
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 08:42:30 am »
keep us updated. the split BMX tire is new to me. i my cannibalize my son's.

it does make a diff. as far as tires, if they are easy on/off over the rims, they can be hard to inflate with a floor pump. this could be your trick, but if you really want a decent thorn~tolerant set up try a tubeless tire with your concoction.

damn, riding with a shraeder valve again???

jimbo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 09:25:32 am »
keep us updated. the split BMX tire is new to me. i my cannibalize my son's.

it does make a diff. as far as tires, if they are easy on/off over the rims, they can be hard to inflate with a floor pump. this could be your trick, but if you really want a decent thorn~tolerant set up try a tubeless tire with your concoction. damn, riding with a shraeder valve again???

Actually I used a bmx 20" tube on my 26 inch wheel.  The tube was split in half to act like a rim strip.  The tire I used was a regular mtb tire converted to tubeless.  Yeah, I'm hoping this setup will eliminate the thorn and pinch flats I've been getting lately.   With exception of having finding compressed air, it was a 15 minute operation.  If this thing turns out to be reliable, I'll go buy one compress air tanks.  I think I saw them for $15.

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 09:37:23 am »
I like that ! A friend of mine uses Stan's but I think he modified it a bit, your system seems simpler. The only thing I don't like is having to drill out the rim for the valve. Two questions , does it look funky or did you manage to trim off those flaps neatly , what is the weight compared to the regular tube set up? Actually there's three questions , how do you know how much gunk to use? You mention the ratios but not the amount.

jimbo

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 10:12:33 am »
Two questions , does it look funky or did you manage to trim off those flaps neatly , what is the weight compared to the regular tube set up? Actually there's three questions , how do you know how much gunk to use? You mention the ratios but not the amount.

You can't see the flaps.  I used a razor blade pressed against the rim to trim to it neatly.

Sorry, I never weighed the thing.  The bmx tubing has got to be lighter, plus the excess is trimmed off.  

I used about 2 ozs total.  It was enough to seal the tire, but I don't know if it's enough to seal a puncture yet.  If's it not enough, I can add more through the schrader.

I think schrader is the best way to go.  I wanted to add and maintain the sealant through the schrader.  I didn't like the idea of adding sealant by breaking the bead.  The Maxxis is a bear to mount.  

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
  • I like to feed the trail bunnies
    • twede's k2 site
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 12:10:20 am »
I've tried homemade and Stans.  Neither saves tremendous, if any, weight over light weight tubes.  They do allow you to run lower pressure without the fear of pinch flat.

I use molding rubber instead of slime.  It's a bit lighter and easier to get in, but not as good for serious gashes.

Question for Jimbo:  How did you take out the schraeder valve core?
No, not that kind of bunny.  The small, furry, long-eared, pudgy nose kind.

jimbo

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 06:10:03 am »
"I've tried homemade and Stans.  Neither saves tremendous, if any, weight over light weight tubes.  They do allow you to run lower pressure without the fear of pinch flat."

I've been having too many flats from thorns and pinch flats lately.  I've been riding more agressive so that could explain the pinch flats.  I increased the pressure, but I didn't like the way theY handled.  My only option is to slime the tube or experiment with tubeless.  The tubeless option is appealing because it doesn't add weight.  Except for the using compressed air, the whole process is very simple take very little time.  

"I use molding rubber instead of slime.  It's a bit lighter and easier to get in, but not as good for serious gashes."

Yeah, the the latex is way cheaper.  I'm experimenting for now.  I'll probably add micro-balloons or fiber to increase big hole sealant capabilities.

"Question for Jimbo:  How did you take out the schraeder valve core?"

I use that little cap with 2 prongs about 3/8" apart. that comes with slime bottle

If they made schrader values with threads all the way to the bottom, it would be perfect for Stans too.  The valve needs to be sealed with the Stans.  The schrader is big enough to add sealant.  I've been thinking that it might be perfect to check the level of sealant by using a paper clip as a dip stick.  My understanding is that you have to break the bead to check on how much sealant you have left with the Stans system.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003, 08:21:40 am by jimbo »

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
  • I like to feed the trail bunnies
    • twede's k2 site
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 08:29:41 am »
 I've been thinking that it might be perfect to check the level of sealant by using a paper clip as a dip stick.  My understanding is that you have to break the bead to check on how much sealant you have left with the Stans system.

I usually just shake the tire.  If I hear the slosh-slosh, it's got enough.  If not (no slosh), it's time to add.
No, not that kind of bunny.  The small, furry, long-eared, pudgy nose kind.

jimbo

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 08:43:18 am »

I usually just shake the tire.  If I hear the slosh-slosh, it's got enough.  If not (no slosh), it's time to add.

Thanks, I'll try that.