Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 04:10:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29
29 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How to properly set up suspension, soft vs. firm?  (Read 2996 times)

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
How to properly set up suspension, soft vs. firm?
« on: May 16, 2003, 04:37:51 pm »
  I set my front and rear spring rates for my weight then measured the amount of sag.  5" front shock w/ 1" sag (20%) 2" stroke rear shock 1/2" sag (25%) I use up my travel on light XC use.  Do you forget about sag and set up the supension to resist bottoming? I did install a different dampning cartridge in my Marzocchi fork w/ more compression which keeps the bottoming away but now pebbles feel like boulders. How do I set up my suspension properly? Thanx

Phillip

• Journeyman
  • lead, follow or ...
Re: How to properly set up suspension, soft vs. fi
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 04:13:45 am »
Suspension setup is a very personalized thing. Like seat selection or stem lenght. I personally believe that if you are NOT using all of the available travel, then you have too much. Are you doing freeride drops or XC or both? If both, you may have to compromise. Are you bottoming out hard all the time, or just occasionally? Do you perfer a smooth soft ride or less bobbing from a firm suspension? It's best to experiment with different springs/air pressures  and damping to find out what works best for your riding style, weight and terrain.

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 10:18:42 am »
I certainly ain't no expert, but here's my opinion! You should be able to get the correct sag with hardly any preload on the rear if the spring is correct. My rear shock only has a rebound adjustment [no compression] and after messing with it I find that I prefer it slow to eliminate pogo effects.Unless you are hucking off things the rear should n't bottom often. I just put a Z1 on my Evo and put in a medium spring and backed off all the adjustments. I didn't bottom but didn't do any big stuff. I reckon I will  need to stiffen it up next ride, but I love to get full travel so expect it will bottom on the occasional drop/jump. I certainly don't want to lose the comfort on the small bumps just so I don't bottom on stuff I hardly hit. I suppose if you hit big stuff all the time you will need to go stiffer.

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 03:00:31 pm »
  Yes I agree that suspension feel is a personal choice. It just seems like I have acumulated quite a few suspension components and numerous springs in an effort to compromise between Agressive XC and general XC. I like my suspension firm but Have been told that my Z1 freeride fork and Stratos Helix Pro rear shock are geared toward freeriding / plushness. I stiffened both the front and rear w/ heavier springs but what I can't change is the compression which what makes those plush forks so buttery. See my new Post " will I like my new Psylo fork" Thanx

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 06:02:47 am »
It's the whole "bottom it on rare occasions thing" is a good rule of thumb.  As for the Z1, I use my Evo as a light freeride/heavy trail bike and am very happy with it.  I have a Vanilla RL on the back now and the lockout makes climbing a 34 pound bike up a 8% grade for six or eight miles a whole lot more bearable...
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 06:05:06 am »
One other thing.  Try running 10wt or mix it up to about 12wt in your Z1.  It's the only way to increase your compression damping.  You'll have to speed up your rebound a bit when you do this because the heavier oil will slow that down too.
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 09:27:07 am »
how does the amount of oil affect the Z1, the chap I got the shock from said I should add a bit more oil. He was running it with less than the recommended amount, I am not sure if by accident or design!

It is a nice shock, plush but also beefy enough to inspire confidence. The ecc never worked but I have a new one coming so that should help climbing.

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 10:26:21 am »
A bit more oil will keep it from bottoming, but you don't want to add too much, or you won't get full travel.  Check Marzocchi's website.  They have a bunch of tech stuff(including oil height/weight, rebound adjustment, etc. for different rider weights). [smiley=groucho.gif]
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem