Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:11:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 52
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30
30 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Carbon swingarm pivot  (Read 2868 times)

macmivvi

Carbon swingarm pivot
« on: December 15, 2006, 01:49:24 am »
Hi,
  Just in process of installing new carbon swingarm on my 3000.
 Anyone have the definitive install proceedure with torque for the cross bolt.
Found the pivot overhual doc,grease everything torque to 250lbs, in?ft? Or untill fingers bleed with allen key.
I find that to tighten the cross pivot bolt pinches the swingarm and it then pivots through the stainless bushes rather than the nylon inserts in the arm.
Am I missing something here?
Help

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Carbon swingarm pivot
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 02:46:28 am »
  What I do is tighten the pinch bolt on the swingarm on the non allen side until it is locked. Then the bearing assy will stay fixed on your swingarm and the bolt can be torqued to your satisfaction without spinning the inserts.

I gave up using a torque wrench as I pretty well know that as tight as you can do by hand is good enough.

Then loosen the pinch bolts and retighten them only enough to feel a slight drag on the swiingarm, or it can fall with it's own weight slowly. The crossbolt should be very tight and should only pivot on the bushes.

Have fun,

Terry

« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 02:50:22 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Carbon swingarm pivot
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 05:28:45 am »
 What I do is tighten the pinch bolt on the swingarm on the non allen side until it is locked. Then the bearing assy will stay fixed on your swingarm and the bolt can be torqued to your satisfaction without spinning the inserts.

I gave up using a torque wrench as I pretty well know that as tight as you can do by hand is good enough.

Then loosen the pinch bolts and retighten them only enough to feel a slight drag on the swiingarm, or it can fall with it's own weight slowly. The crossbolt should be very tight and should only pivot on the bushes.

Have fun,

Terry

Couldn't put it better myself.

Simon.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:29:33 am by simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,