Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 07:25:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 42
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61
61 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Shaft scratches on Risse astro 5  (Read 3358 times)

wylyman

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Shaft scratches on Risse astro 5
« on: August 26, 2006, 09:38:59 am »
I bought a ligtly used (ebay)  Risse astro 5 recently and it was perfect when I recieved it.  After about a ten mile ride I notice scraches through the anodizing.  I emailed Risse and was told to put a boot on It which I did. After a few more long rides I removed the boot and notice the scatches getting progressivly worse, enough to catch a finger nail.  At this rate the shaft wont last very long!  Anyone else have a problem like this?  Also does risse have any warranty.  I am told by the original owner it was bought in March 06.
98' K2 4000 bloody red'n carbon swingarm

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Shaft scratches on Risse astro 5
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 10:26:18 am »
Thats not right,
sounds like some debris is caught up under the wiper/dust seal and scratching the shaft,
I had a new Risse shock (black shaft) its fitted to my old bike (now my son's) for a couple of years or so, I never fitted a boot and the shaft though directly open to dirt from the rear wheel yet the shaft is still as new.
Simon.  
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 12:47:08 pm »
That's very bad. Sounds like you have sand in there. Risse shocks are relatively easy to "open up" for maintenance. Look on the Risse website for instructions (at least they used to be there)...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

lolli

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 07:46:37 am »
I had this problem as well on my shock.
I sent it to CVI when they were around and had a new piston fitted £45 ouch.
I thought about it and i feel the swinnger was flexing on the frame on corners causing lateral stress on the shock.

wylyman

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 06:42:35 am »
Actually, kudos to Risse Racing.  I sent the shock to risse and they discovered the problem and promptly replaced the shaft and sent It back to me no charge. Something to do with the delrin seal.  The shock seems to be more plush now and no scratches!  Their customer service is great.    
98' K2 4000 bloody red'n carbon swingarm

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 09:48:39 am »
Thats something you don't here so much these days,

well done Risse.

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,