Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 08:28:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53
53 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: vertical "play"...a worn eyelet bushing?  (Read 2931 times)

Pirate

vertical "play"...a worn eyelet bushing?
« on: May 26, 2003, 02:54:38 pm »
I'm noticing some slight vertical "play" in my Razorback's rear triangle.  It feels similar to lose cones in the hubs (not that, though).   I can put my finger in between the shock mount and the seat tube and feel some slight movement.  I took the bushing out of the shock eyelet, and to my untrained eye everythink LOOKED ok, but I'm not sure what to look for.  I checked everything for tightness before disassembly.  Could this bushing be the culprit?  Thanks for any help or insight.

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
Re: vertical "play"...a worn eyelet bush
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 02:20:44 am »
I had the same problem with my Evo when I changed the shock and shock bolt. I should probably buy a new eyelet bushing but for now have just packed it with some milk carton plastic! My friends Dare has a little vertical play too, seems to be a common problem. Can anyone suggest if a little play is acceptable or is it going to mess up the handling, bolt, shock or bike?

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 03:03:02 am »
Wrap the offending bushing with teflon tape and reinstall-it will be tight and need a press/hammer/block but will tighten things up a bunch!  Riding with slop encourages wear/tear...
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

Pirate

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 01:54:43 pm »
Thanks guys!  I'll give that teflon tape trick a shot.  Maybe later I can break out the checkbook and order a new strut that fits a Fox shock.  Time to start being EXTRA nice to the Mrs...  

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 02:32:32 am »
Scott, how do you get the eye bushing out?

Pirate

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 03:00:03 pm »
Scott and Numbnuts, I wrapped both the shoulder bolt and the the outer portion of the bushing liberally with teflon tape today and voila...no more slop!!  Hopefully this will hold up at least until the winter, although it won't stop raining here in North Carolina.  The trails are an aweful mess.  I don't ever recall it raining here so much.  Might be a crappy summer.  Forgive me for saying this but (*gulp*), I might have to buy a road bike just to get some decent saddle time.  Pray tell that this won't come to be...Shhh!!  

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 02:36:44 am »
Pirate, where in NC are you? I was in/ around Asheville over Easter, some kickass riding but the rain and cold was a bummer. I was impressed by how quickly that sandy soil drains, mud wasn't a problem really, but that stuff eats drivetrain parts!

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 01:39:43 pm »
When they are stuck you can grab it with pliers and twist it out-it's ugly but works.  Instead I drive a knife blade between the bushing shoulder and shock and always seem to be able to get them out this way-no marring or gouging of the surface as with pliers but always wear safety glasses and move slowly-often the bushings were placed w/o lube and will stick quite a bit.
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

Pirate

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2003, 03:53:12 pm »
Numbnuts, I am in central NC.  It's not the greatest place for a mountain biker, but I'm roughly 2 hours form the mountains and 2 hours from the coast (I also surf), so it's not a bad place to be.  I'm about 25 minutes from Owl's Roost in Greensboro, which was called "the best urban mountain bike trail in America" by Bicycling Magazine.  It's a great trail...pretty technical, and it wraps around a lake for some scenic views.  I'm also very close to Sanford, The New Light Trails, and Chapel Hill which also offer some very good riding.  I'm planning to ride Tsali this summer, and look forward to it.  However, I'm told the best mountain biking in NC lies near the Pisgah area.  I look forward to discovering it for myself.  

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 03:34:47 am »
Pirate, Pisgah is where we were for a week. The riding and scenery are awesome with lots of variety and different levels. It was surprisingly uncrowded although that probably had something to do with the time and weather. If you go check out Carolina Fatz close to Asheville, the owner Jason is a riot. Also if you have any K2 related problems check Ski Country sports, they used to be dealers and still seem happy to deal with warranty issues. Customer service was excellent[thanks Ben!] and the guys at both shops have great trail suggestions that ain't in the book.