Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 09:26:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49
49 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Hey K2 - Who won the "name the frame" co  (Read 3210 times)

Tom_A.

Hey K2 - Who won the "name the frame" co
« on: May 05, 2003, 05:17:54 am »
I know you guys are lurking [smiley=laughing.gif]

The website says the winner will be announced May 1st.  It's May 5th.

I want to know if I scored some swag with my creative entries!

Tom A.

FreakRider

• Novice
  • A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts...
Re: Hey K2 - Who won the "name the frame"
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 06:56:24 am »
There's no use wondering cause I'm gonna win all of the goods wit my entries.

I agree though, where's the new ride?

Mike_Farris

• Novice
  • I totally AM the Charlie Browniest...
The Winner Is...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 09:20:34 am »
Here's the text from K2's website:

"The code6development crew congratulates the Jonathan Bond of Massachusetts on his winning entry for the Name the Frame Game. The all new 2004 4"/5" travel, all mountain frame platform will be now known as the K2 Spire. Jonathan will win a new 2003 RockShox SID Team suspension fork with remote lockout, and whatever else we can come up with.

Lithium has been slated as the runner up.

Thanks to everyone who submitted any of the 4811 entries. The selection was difficult."

Spire? Lithium? What kind of WEAK @ss names are those? Personally I prefer "All-Star" or "Switchblade" or some other name I came up with...
;) [smiley=dead.gif]

jimbo

Re: Hey K2 - Who won the "name the frame&
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 09:39:59 am »
 ???spire [ spr ]

noun (plural spires)

1. architecture narrow tapering structure topping something: a tall narrow pointed structure on the top of a roof, tower, or steeple

2. botany pointed shoot of plant: a slender, upward-pointing part of a plant such as a blade of grass or the top of a tree

3. upward-facing spike: the top part of something narrow and pointed such as a mountain peak

intransitive verb (past spired, past participle spired, present participle spirˇing, 3rd person present singular spires)

rise to point: to rise to a narrow point

[Old English spīr . Ultimately from an Indo-European base meaning sharp point that is also the ancestor of English spit2, spike1, and spine.]

???lithˇiˇum [ líthee m ]

noun

extremely light metallic element: a soft silver-white chemical element that is the lightest metal known, used in alloys, ceramics, and batteries, and in compounds as a medical treatment for manic-depressive disorders. Symbol Li

[Early 19th century. Coined from lithia + -ium.]

Tom_A.

Re: Hey K2 - Who won the "nam
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 10:28:12 am »
Spire?  Are you freakin' kidding me?  Spire?  Yeah...that name really makes me think of a bike that can "do it all"  [smiley=disbelief.gif]  Yeah...I want to swing my leg over a "sharp, pointy, vertical object". ::)

And the runnerup is "lithium"....ooh, let's pick the techno sounding name that has nothing to do with biking.  [smiley=yawn.gif]

Sounds to me like the Code6-pack "team" needs to take their "lithium". ;)

I swear....I'll never understand the thought process of some "marketing" types.....

Sour grapes....naaaahhhhh.....

debaucherous

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 10:57:00 am »
I tend to agree that the name choice was probably made by a marketing type that doesn't bike and wouldn't know why Spire is a poor name for a 5" travel bike.  

Spire does ont inspire confidence.  And don't ever let me get started on "lithium".

Hope the engineers did a better job at designing than marketing did in naming.

Jeez.

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 11:16:42 am »
then i have a last minute comment entry name for the contest -

"Shi Poo"

OP

(read what you will)

addendum:

you'd think the company would want to express the end result of the current state of technology along with the history of the company.  Somthing that says PROfessional quality, FLEXible tuning suspension.

PROfessional componentry, yet FLEXible for the average rider -

PROfessional yet FLEXible

PROfessional - FLEXible

"PRO-FLEX"

can ya see the new guys up there sitting and thinking,
"NAH! it'll never work"

"Spire" yes, now, that's the ticket! - Who wants another Seattles Best - double cafe latte almond mocha java with a sprinkle?" and, and, and - "Let's have the whole biking community talk with a lisp - Lithium"

OP   ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003, 02:28:23 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 02:41:13 am »
Does anyone think that's a good name, I doubt it!

If the marketing guys wanted a pointy name "Peak" would have been better. I agree wit OP ,  Proflex is/was one of the best MTB names. Santa Cruz have some great names Blur, Bullit, Heckler--they conjur up images of outta control speed and aggression. Spire conjurs up images of a church in a sleepy English village [with the vicar doing bunny hops around the graveyard?] [smiley=laughing.gif]

FreakRider

• Novice
  • A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts...
Re: Hey K2 - Who won the "name the frame&
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003, 06:13:47 am »
Spire??? That makes me think church, and "HOLY SH!T" is the closest to church I get on the trail. Maybe I saw God a couple times when I hit the brakes too late... but that's different.

Lithium??? That makes me think batteries, OOOHHH, my aggressive all mountain energizer bunny. Maybe it'll come in pink. Are you freaking joking!!!!!!!

That was certainly a result of marketing eggheads that have never even seen an all mountain bike, much less ridden one.

Some of my suggestions would have been better; Thunder, Wolverine, Hill Humper... and they can keep the stupid SID fork, I wouldn't have used it anyway!

I say F - YOU to the moron that decided that was the best of the 4800 entries. It just makes you laugh how out of touch they've become.

The decline of K2 continues......

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: Hey K2 - Who won the "name th
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2003, 08:34:02 am »

"Spire" yes, now, that's the ticket! - Who wants another Seattles Best - double cafe latte almond mocha java with a sprinkle?" and, and, and - "Let's have the whole biking community talk with a lisp - Lithium"

OP   ;)

"tssay fella, thhat'ss a nice looking ssspire in your shortzzz......there's some cream on your upper lip, too

it is not a very *inSPIRing* name, IHMO

i am a "decaf with room" kinda guy, isn't lithium a DRUG?

OP not referring to you, personally (no lips icon so... :P) the coffee comment started me going... [smiley=laughing.gif]

Thomas Coleman

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2003, 09:22:05 am »
I'm a medicinal chemist so naturally when I think of lithium it is as a treatment for depression.  Spire doesn't even rate a comment.  Personally I thought a good name for an inbetweener that does it all would have been the K2 Dichotomy.