Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 03:20:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 39
Total: 39
39 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Anyone have Long Carbon Legs?  (Read 2771 times)

ganleybob

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Anyone have Long Carbon Legs?
« on: April 12, 2003, 05:23:12 am »
I'd like to get a pair of carbon legs for my '97 Girvin Cross Link Elite Long fork.

Of course if I found a complete long fork w/carbon legs that would do....

FYI, long legs have 168MM between the holes where the upper link assy and lower link assy attach to the legs...

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: Anyone have Long Carbon Legs?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 04:01:38 pm »
i think someone bought a long  carbon but may not actually need it.......speak up
kiwi proflex rider

Tom_A.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 05:06:52 am »
You're better off finding a complete "long" fork, since you'll also need the "long" shock and "long" steerer tube to go with it.  The only major parts common to a std and a long xlink are the upper and lower links and the clamp.

Tom A.

ganleybob

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 05:48:53 am »
Thanks Tom.  Yes, I have a long fork now, just want to put the Carbon legs on it to lighten it up.

On the topic of changed geometries...  The front shock is longer also to accomidate the longer head tube.  I think this is just an adapter that is threaded onto the bottom of the shock. If I upgrade to a Risse, do you know if I can just use the adapter from the NR2 that is on there now?  

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 10:52:39 am »
You mean like this?

Sorry. Just being silly. :P This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw your post's topic....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2003, 10:53:35 am by Matno »
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Tom_A.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 09:15:27 am »
From what I remember correctly, the carbon legs don't weigh any less than the aluminum legs.  They're just stronger and less susceptible to fatigue failure (which is why they're recommended for DIY disc mount projects).  

Tom A.

lamolamont

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 02:34:54 pm »
be carefull of those carbon legs. i had a pair and the two top aluminum inserts came out when i was going over a sharp rock and my fork colapsed and threw me to the ground and sent me walking.

Tom_A.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2003, 03:52:01 am »
Ganleybob,

I was just thinking.....I had a '97 carbon fork given to me about 1.5 years ago.  Something looked funny about it, and after a bit of measuring and research I realized it had LONG legs on an otherwise Standard fork.  I wanted to use it on my tandem so I did a bunch of analysis on the travel paths (that's were the xlink analysis files - in the files section- I did came from) and then had a buddy machine up a custom upper clamp mount.

BUT....Ideally, I'd like to have the correct setup.....but I need standard length legs.  I want to stick with carbon (and it's greater strength) since I'm using it on a tandem.

Soooo.....if you really want long carbon legs and can find some Standard length '97 carbon legs, I'll swap them with you.

How's that for a deal?  They have to be '97 legs though since the '98-'99 legs are different.

An alternative would be that I could sell the legs to you and then put the proceeds towards a different fork for the tandem.

ganleybob

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2003, 01:09:29 am »
Tom:

I saw your analysis of the long carbon legs a year or so agon on this forum.  I was quite impressed.

I'll look around for the std length carbon legs and let you know if I find them.  Meanwhile, think about what you would be willing to sell the legs for.

I'll be back in touch.

Bob